ethernet Problem

wdd0422

I have a mitsubishi Q CPU with a QJ71E71 master card (ethernet) and a GOT1000 on the network. (there is also a CClink card for the robots and a profibus card for the I/O all working)The panel and The PLC work fine but I have been trying to hook a DVT camera and I can't ping it or pick it up in the software. If I disconnet the panel and plug that cable into the camera then I can ping the camera. If I take the cable that I had plugged into camera and plug it into the panel then the panel dosen't work. OK it would seem that the cable is bad but I bought 4 cables because I was having trouble and wanted to rule out the cables. I have a hard time believing that all 4 of the cables I bought were bad. They all test good on the cable tester. The only ones that are working are the ones I made. They are straight thruogh connections coming from a hub. Can anyone think of any other reason I maybe having trouble conneting?

Thanks
Bill

Bad port on the hub/switch? have you tried swopping ports/connections over?

Last edited:
Yes I did try that. I am going to change it out and see if that helps. They are only 10 port hubs and I am using 8 so I also thought about piggy backing a couple together. Does anybody know if a switch might work better'

Thanks Bill

I would also double check that its not a crossover cable What kind of distance are we talking and I am assuming from your explanation that its an ethernet cable going to the camera also make sure your not trying to use an MDI MDI-x uplink port a lot of hubs come equipped with that feature so you can join two hubs together instead of using the backplane cable

Yes I did double check the cables with a tester. It does indicate that it is a patch cable and all lines are connected. I also did check the ports and they all look the same.

thanks
Bill

It is seperately powered through a breakout board. This machine has a right and a left side also wich are identical machine and program-wise. They are on the same ethernet but diferent PLC's and HMI's. As noted the plc and HMI's are connected and working but the cameras on either side will not connect. I'm sure it is something simple that I am overlooking. I am going to run up to Best Buy and get a new switch and see if that helps. I have been using a hub.

Thanks again
Bill

Well your statement that when you disconnect the panel and connect to the panel line to the camera suggests that your camera configuration is correct Yuo may try setting the camera to transmit at 10 mbit half duplex
this is a common problem for various reasons that some ethernet connections will not properly auto negotiate the speeds correctly or run at 100 mbits. You've already tested the lines but before you buy a new hub/switch its easy to test if the ports are working all you need to do is hook up your laptop to a port and ping another device on another port if the ping is good then the port is usually good