Chemical Dosing Pump Flow Detection

DaveW

We have a couple LMI chemical dosing pumps that are pumping caustic and sanitizer into a couple CIP tanks. I would like to know if there's a way to detect that I have chemical flowing out of the pumps. I need something that can withstand the harsch chemicals. Nothing fancy, a flow switch of some sort will do.
Thanks,
DaveW

The simplest solutuion is to use a wheel stainless steel flowmeter. It has a clear glass with a paddle wheel and you can see the flow. But keep in mind, they wear out and get stuck when they wear out. But very effective.

I will check on the model number that we use tommorow..we use a flow sensor to prove vitamin flow...at the end of production we run the caustic and sanitizer through them and have no issues..the only problem we had to over come is our pumps are pulsing pumps..so we get an on..off..on..off pulse from the sensors..i just put a small time delay in the program..no flow for 5 seconds..shut off and alarm...

Alaric..the only problem with those is they are flow meters....sometimes you just have to prove flow...the ones i use are dirt cheap..we use conductivity meters to prove the chemical is in and flowing..

DaveW said:
We have a couple LMI chemical dosing pumps that are pumping caustic and sanitizer into a couple CIP tanks. I would like to know if there's a way to detect that I have chemical flowing out of the pumps. I need something that can withstand the harsch chemicals. Nothing fancy, a flow switch of some sort will do.
Thanks,
DaveW
What kind of dosing pumps are they? If they are typical, diaphram or piston, you would be getting a pulse flow out. If you use a flow switch or paddle wheel type sensor just input into a timer that would time out and alarm if the pulses stop. Some of the chemical dosing pumps can be fitted with built in flow monitoring. Another way would be to use a pressure switch if the line is not valved. Having pressure you would assume there is flow as long as the line is not blocked. A thermal flow switch would work and not have the problems of the chemicals attacking mechanical parts of the switch. GEMS sensors is one of many suppliers of flow monitoring.