analog modules on RIO

billyh

I have a slc504 with a 1747-SN scanner in slot 6, a 1747-ASB in the remote chassis with a couple of analog modules 1746-NI4 and a 1746-NI4V and a few discrete i/o modules. I can see the i/o modules in the image table but nothing comes through to or from the analog cards. The ASB has a run indicator. I have the ASB adapter set up as one-slot addressing.
Can I make the analogs work without block tranfers?
Billy

No Billy, You are Correct.

You need to set up BTR and BTW for the analog I/O.
You cannot read directly off of the I/O tree as traditional discrete I/O.

also, make sure your grounding on the analog modules is correct, did a project once where the data was unstable, we had to ground the ov, did not like all the code we had to use to get the analogs seems a bit of an overhead.

Thanks,

I have the analog input(1746-NI4) working now with a single ladder rung using a BTR instruction. I can see the eng units change with the input voltage. I'm thinking the outputs would use a BTW, however, I have comm problems.
I have set the g-file and adapter image but I get ADE on the adapter. Still trying to work through this one.

Billy

While it is POSSIBLE to talk to the analog via discrete transfer (no BTR/BTW) it is not practical.

Make sure you read the notes in the Scanner user manual (or is it the adapter?) about setting up Alternating Repeating Bi-Directional BTR and BTW. You will end up with a BTR and a BTW for each analog module.

Also, for us to help with your G-file settings, please tell us exactly what you have in the entire remote chassis. Including part numbers and slot numbers and size of the chassis. Also, how are the dip switches set on the adapter? Are there multiple remote chassis or just the one remote?

OG