Unitronics Birthday Present

Disclaimer - I don't work for Unitronics, I work for a major american power tools manufacturer, and no, I can't get you a free drill. But I do come bearing gifts today.

Hi guys!

Unitronics officially released Version 7.0 of their PLC programming software, Visilogic. As one of the beta testers, I'm really amped about this release. It's got a ton of new features, some of them model-specific. Here's the short list:

New Model - V350
New canbus-based remote IO.
Support for SanDisk memory cards
Sending email from the PLC
Web Server built into the PLC
1.25mS interrupt routine
Improved support for Stepper drives using HSO
Import and export displays as files
Sundry improvements to HMI and logic
And it's still free.

Now let's get to the goody.

In Version 6.0, Unitronics introduced an OS-based alarms feature. It's especially nice because in their controllers, where the HMI and PLC are a single unit (not to be confused with certain other manufacturers where the HMI is basically "glued" to an otherwise standed PLC) it can interact with the program directly, and lifts the alarm logic right out of the ladder. It's versatile, very configurable, and builds a 256-entry FIFO alarm history.

A few weeks ago, a friend of mine wrote me asking for some help in setting up these alarms in his program. I debugged the prog for him, but also went a step further, and created a tutorial covering the basics of configuring and using the feature. It's not difficult, but it is complex and this serves as a starting point for somebody trying to get a handle on it.

The zip file is in the downloads section of the forum here. It includes a word document with the text, and a fully functional visilogic program. You'll need to download the latest release to open it - free download, www.unitronics.com. It's written for a V350, but you can adapt it pretty easily to another Enhanced-series model if you have the inclination.

Enjoy!

TM

Last edited:
Speaking of which, this was my first time using the V350. I don't normally go for the smaller Unitronics models, even though I cut my teeth on the M90 and M91, mainly because of screen size - I like the roominess and added configurability of the V570.

The V350 overcomes this limitation. It's small, the same physical footprint as the M90 and V120, but it adds a 256-color 3.5" touchscreen. It's got great resolution and can store up to 1000 screens.

If you have a taste for micro-PLCs, check out the tutorial program and play around with it. This model has everything it's big brothers do, in a smaller package.

Thanks!

TM