XP SP3 experience

surferb

Lifetime Supporting Member
XP SP3 has been "released to manufacturing" on April 21st. Has it fixed or messed up anything for you? Share your experiences...

surferb said:
XP SP3 has been "released to manufacturing" on April 21st. Has it fixed or messed up anything for you? Share your experiences...

all is still 'working well', only issue I have is Rockwell CPR9 stuff not working well that was pre SP3

Last edited:
Uplifted from the Microsoft site

Windows XP Service Pack 3 Overview

Brief Description

Windows® XP Service Pack 3 (SP3) includes all previously released updates for the operating system. This update also includes a small number of new functionalities, which do not significantly change customers’ experience with the operating system. This white paper summarizes what is new in Windows XP SP3.

Quick Details

Version:2Date Published:5/6/2008

That date indicates its only been available on line for 1 to 2 days.

I also read on another site that come Mid June, it comes to all as a Windows Update.

I'm sure you're right - I got my date from Wikipedia, which was probably an early prediction. I didn't start seeing banner ads or hear about it until yesterday.

Mind linking in the white paper?

Gil47 said:
Uplifted from the Microsoft site

Windows XP Service Pack 3 Overview

Brief Description

Windows® XP Service Pack 3 (SP3) includes all previously released updates for the operating system. This update also includes a small number of new functionalities, which do not significantly change customers’ experience with the operating system. This white paper summarizes what is new in Windows XP SP3.

Quick Details

Version:2Date Published:5/6/2008

That date indicates its only been available on line for 1 to 2 days.

I also read on another site that come Mid June, it comes to all as a Windows Update.

Includes updates previously not available through Windows Update......hmmm.
Searched for info on it. For more info go to 'insert link'.
Target link says about the same as previous page, but also offers the: For more info go to 'insert link' option.
After 4 links you get back to page one.
Did find a rather small pdf with some links and explained a bit more of what it is.
It's basically to 'force' all the previous updates, introduce the connectivity with WinServer 2008, add connectivity to previously Vista only protocols and introduce Genuine Advantage, the new license check for the latest Windows releases.

I'll just wait a bit longer before I install it, as there was also mention of installing hotfixes before installing the SP3.....

I don't see the point in SP3. XP SP2 is stable and has everything that's needed. I'm wondering if this is a small 'push' by microsoft to nudge people towards Vista. Take a good OS and make it a little unstable forcing people to consider Vista.

It seems strange the release a service pack of this magnitude for an operating system that you are stopping support for very soon...

Or maybe I'm just cynical...

:rolleyes:

XP SP2 is stable and has everything that's needed.

Ooh! Do not agree with that.

I have installed it and everything is fine but that is on my desktop and not the laptop I normally use for PLC programming. It appears to have fixed some issues I had with applications hanging while accessing help files though.

The only thing I would suggest is stop all programs that you can before installing it. Destroyed my NOD32 Smart Suite installation and had to re-install after returning to SP2 configuration. Stopped NOD32 next time, and everything else that was running, and have had absolutely no problems. Computer is probably running better than it was.

I must say that any updates I have had to XP Pro has not really caused me any problems on the laptop either. The main PLC software I use is Omron CX-One and I really have had no problems except for accessing help files causing the program to hang.

Considering Vista now that SP1 is out.

Opposite effect, I think. Microsoft has been pushing back dates in the XP lifecycle because of the Vista response and poor sales numbers. The team working on new service packs will only continue to do so until they're allowed to quit. Things like un-patchable XP exploits will inevitably be a motivating feature to migrate groups of users to Vista (or otherwise) in the foreseeable future.

uptown47 said:
I don't see the point in SP3. XP SP2 is stable and has everything that's needed. I'm wondering if this is a small 'push' by microsoft to nudge people towards Vista. Take a good OS and make it a little unstable forcing people to consider Vista.

It seems strange the release a service pack of this magnitude for an operating system that you are stopping support for very soon...

Or maybe I'm just cynical...

:rolleyes:

Xp Sp3

Loaded SP3 on my machine at home yesterday. After rebooting I started getting a black screen with the following message "Load OS Error". This happened a few times. Also after being able to boot into XP started getting nothing but error messages on start up. SP3 was not friendly to my machine, I was able to restore from most recent backup and all was ok. So my experince was not that great but on my son machine no problems. Will try again this comming weekend to see if the install was just bad.

what a mess

This Microsoft carp is getting messy. I bought a new Toshiba laptop (my fave brand) before PCMCIA adapters disappear completely and was going to try out RSLogix 8 because it supports Vista. Come to find out, RSLinx 2.53 doesn't show support for the PCMK card running under Vista even though it appeared I was able to load the PCMK drivers successfully. And EVMOVECF doesn't work with Vista either. I wanted to avoid buying the new USB-DH+ converter because of its price ($1800). Now I'm thinking of downgrading Vista to WinXP but Toshiba quit shipping XP completely and doesn't have XP drivers.

Generic WinXP is starting to disappear off retailers shelves. Looks like Microsoft is going to try to ram Vista down consumer's throats. Only positive thing was Fanuc's Roboguide works under Vista.

I got a new Toshiba last year and had the same problem with drivers. I was able to find most of my drivers on their UK site or looking at the individual manufacturers for each hardware device. Long frustrating process. PM me for more info.

Giz.

jstolaruk said:
This Microsoft carp is getting messy. I bought a new Toshiba laptop (my fave brand) before PCMCIA adapters disappear completely and was going to try out RSLogix 8 because it supports Vista. Come to find out, RSLinx 2.53 doesn't show support for the PCMK card running under Vista even though it appeared I was able to load the PCMK drivers successfully. And EVMOVECF doesn't work with Vista either. I wanted to avoid buying the new USB-DH+ converter because of its price ($1800). Now I'm thinking of downgrading Vista to WinXP but Toshiba quit shipping XP completely and doesn't have XP drivers.

Generic WinXP is starting to disappear off retailers shelves. Looks like Microsoft is going to try to ram Vista down consumer's throats. Only positive thing was Fanuc's Roboguide works under Vista.