USB noise with a headset

surferb

Lifetime Supporting Member
Slightly OT, but I'm guessing there are some experts here!

I have a pretty nice USB headset that includes noise reduction (like background noise in the room). The problem is that I'm getting a low humm that must be coming from my power supply or something. I've tried using different ports and a USB hub with no success. My recording application can cancel the noise, but it makes me sound like Kermit the Frog and sets the volume inconsistantly.

Any ideas on removing the noise? Perhaps filters, some other kind of USB switch, isolation devices, etc? Other ideas on what might cause the noise besides my power supply?

Hi, the noise is on the microphone? you say your recording app can cancel it so i assume so. Is it simply feedback from the headphones?

Cheers

No, I think it's electrical noise in the sound card/amp/whatever. I experienced a similar sound with a car audio system that wasn't properly grounded.

I don't think it's coming from the microphone. The equalizer bar on the computer shows a steady input even in a totally silent room.

On the second thought, I should play with power settings. I have no idea if the circuit is properly grounded or how I could fix that. I am powering the machine through a 220-110 transformer. My power supply is switching so the correct plug might help.

cjd1965 said:
Hi, the noise is on the microphone? you say your recording app can cancel it so i assume so. Is it simply feedback from the headphones?

Cheers

Last edited:
Plugging my computer directly to the 220 socket in the wall (bypassing the transformer) fixed my problem.

If you are worried about noise there is a bluetooth mike that works off the bone movement of your ear, doesn't pick up ******t noise, anyone else talking....

H Nate,

One other thing to check, there are multiple volume controls for various parts of the system and it is possible to get noise from an input that is unconnected but has it's volume turned up. There is a "mute" function to kill those inputs that are not in use.

Bob A.