Panelview Communication Issue

mdeltat

I am trying to communicate from a laptop to a Panelview 2711-T10C8 using a 9-pin out of COM1 to the RS232 connection on the panelview. It continues to tell me that to check my cable and that no comms could be established. I've changed my cable and it still won't connect. Any Ideas?

Thank You
Joe

What driver are you using in RSLinx? It should be DF1 driver. The cable is a straight thru cable.
If this is not a new installation then it is possible that the RS232 port on your panelview is configured as a printer port. If so you will have to get to the configuration screen and change this.

No, PanelBuilder32 does have a transfer utility, click on start then Panelbuilder32 then WINPFT. (see pic below). But Rslinx is best, it should have come with your PB32 software RSLinx Lite will do.

PB32TransferUtility_1.jpg

Click on comm setup and check to see if it matches your PV terminal setup. If you don't know this then go to your PV's configuration screen to see how its configured.
This is why I like RsLinx, it takes care of this for you after you click autoconfigure.

See pic below

commsetup.jpg

If the application that is presently in the PanelView has the auxillary port set to "Printing" rather than "Download", then you must change that setting from the configuration screen before you can download the program using the serial port.

im thinking that it has something to do with my settings because I am able to connect with another laptop using the same cable. I've compared the settings and they seem to be the same.

Make sure no other software is trying to use the serial port.
Are you using the transfer utility or RSLinx?

Be sure that you don't have any other drivers in RSLinx that are using the serial port on your computer. If you do, delete them and reboot your computer. This has always worked for me. Good luck.

I’m not sure why you don’t want to use RSLinx, it’s the easiest way to establish communication with your PV. But your choice.

Are you sure RSLinx is shutdown. The default installation of RSLinx is to run as a service. Check to make sure its not. (see pic below, and uncheck always run as a service and shut it down if it is.)

LaunchControl1.jpg

In Panelbuilder:

Click "File" on the main menu and choose "Download..."

From the download dialog notice the "Transfer Type" selection box. In that field, choose RSLinx.

Press the setup button which will take you to the configure drivers dialog in RSLinx. Within that dialog, you can choose an existing driver, add a new one, etc. When finished there, press close.

Once that is done, you will get the RSWho window in the PB32 Download File dialog. Next, simply browse to the device you want to transfer the file to, select it and click OK.

You will next get the typical "Are you Sure" prompts and warnings...

Hope this helps.

Sidenote: In my job, I find the good old fashioned memory card method to be the simplest for updating panelview programs. Then when a panelview dies in the middle of the night, the floor technician can come up here and grab the memory card and have the latest revision of the file. If I download over our network, I have to remember to put a copy on the card anyway, so I usually just transfer the file to the PMCIA card using my laptop, then carry it out to the machine to put it into the Panelview. Another advantage is that I don't have to worry about losing communication in the middle of a download, and it is by far the fastest (least amount of screen downtime).

Last edited: