BCD to RS232 Connection

sachin5254

We are using a 4 counters having BCD output through GP IB port. I want to connect these to a PLC with 21 pin RS232 inpit port. How can I do the same.

If you can get 4 bcd outputs to a plc comms port I would be interested, you would need a pc board that takes bcd input, write the software to then send it out on a 232 link to a plc, hold on... that's what a plc does?.
Why not put the bcd outputs into the I/O of the plc & there you have it.
Or... use digital inputs on the plc to count the pulses hey presto you have the data in the plc.

Thanks. I think we need a communication between GPIB port connectors to 21 pin PLC input connector using the right protocol. I am interested in knowing how to connect and using the right protocol. Any inputs.

We are using Mitutoyo LVDT LG150L with linear gage counter LS1. There are four such counters having two output ports. One is the GPIB port and the other is Digimatic Code Output port. We want to take the output of the four to a PLC and then to a HMI for Go/No Go type operations on the measuring machine.

?

zeroresults.jpg

Mitutoyo lists it under Gage Head Model No. LGF 150L, part no. 542-123 and linear gage counter is listed as Display Unit. Probably Model LG S1 has been replaced . The part no. of the same is 542-021-5.

You are not going to be able to directly connect a GPIB device to an RS232 port. You will need a converter. Google GPIB RS232 converter to find nearly 10,000 possibilities. Last time I used a GPIB instrument I placed a GPIB card from Measurement Computing in the HMI computer and used a VB program to deliver the data to the PLC via the OPC server. I see that Measurment Computing also offers a USB version GIPB converter. The vendor supplies drivers and sample VB code but it still took a bit of experimentation to get the information into the HMI and then back to the PLC.

You still haven't told us the PLC brand - we might be able to offer a PLC solution with that information.

Pro-soft technology is reportedly working on a GPIB interface for AB PLCs, but I think it is still vaporware.

In the end, considering hardwar and software development costs, it might be cheaper to change the gages for something more compatible with the PLC you have.

Last edited:
Since the computing to be done is very simple viz. Go/NoGo & Delta of Max & Min of the four readings, we can use any PLC. The PLC only puts the measuring machine on hold in case of deviation from stds and then it is manually rested. We are more comfortable with Mitsubishi PLC and Panel View as we use them extensively in our plant.

Further the 4 LVDTs cost will be higher than any std. PLC & panelview required.The LVDTs are product specific with gage R & R being of importance. When we tried taking the output of LVDTs directly to Mitsubishi PLC through Mitsubishi counters without using the Gage Counter of Mitutoyo, we failed due to poor Gage R & R.The LVDTs scan speed is 1500mm/sec which I think is too high for any PLC?The counters are converting the LVDTs output directly into required measurable output i.e. millimeters.