| Timer |
+-----------+

Run
Delay Timer Delayed
Action Done Output
---| |-------| |-------( )

(15)

Last edited:
Not to be too pedantic Terry, but there is no output required after the Timer with Omron PLCs.
The 'Timer Done' bit in your third rung would just be a contact of the 'Timer' itself!
Although (of course) a generic answer is probably of more benefit to new users! :nodi:

A typical Terry response...

Paulus, (don't take this too seriously...)

It looks like you might have been around long enough, but it also looks like you might not have participated enough to know that I have ALWAYS promoted the idea of generic answers. My PLC ain't necessarily your PLC, but logic is logic. And the more generic the logic, the more it applies... or at least, the more it can not be disqualified.

Regarding the "Timer Output" bit... what's the difference between "Timer Done" and a Timer Output bit? None that I can see.

What with all of those "special" PLC's out there (You know who you are!) with all of their winks and their nods, all for the sake of gaining access to their... "special" (short-bus) functions, the one perspective that carries through on all PLC's is the generic version. After all, the generic version is nothing more than fundamental logic.

You should/would be surprised at all of the... long-timers... that have become so embedded in a particular brand, with all of their particular functions, that they have lost touch with the fundamentals. If the vendor doesn't provide the particular combination of fundamental operations is a "special" function, then they are distraught!

ALL PLC's can do fundamental logic! (*)
(*) Of course, that depends on what one defines as fundamental logic. Basically, fundamental logic includes all of the normal logical, mathematical, and data manipulating functions that are included with the vast majority of available PLCs. This does NOT include those canned functions which are nothing more than a collection of pre-organized fundamental logical actions which could just as easily have been developed by an experienced programmer... and perhaps developed, by that programmer, more suitably to his own needs.

If a particular programmer can only do logic in terms of the "special" functions provided by PLC-such-n-such... then that programmer is woefully lacking!

Yeah, yeah, yeah... he'll do fine as long as he stays with that particular PLC... but some day he just might find himself in a position where that good-'ol PLC-such-n-such is perhaps unknown, ignored, or hated. Oh yeah, any of those is a real possibility!

The point being, generic will ALWAYS carry you through because generic is based on fundamental logic!

So....... what was your argument against generic?

Terry Woods said:
The point being, generic will ALWAYS carry you through because generic is based on fundamental logic!

So....... what was your argument against generic?

Hello Terry,
(Not serious, nor argumentative! :D)
I was most definitely not condeming the use of a generic solution.
As my last line pointed out, a generic answer will probably be of more help to a new user - hence the nodding smilie.

My only concern was that the OP may then try to add an output bit after the timer (for his Omron CP1L application) - only to find that this causes a compile error within the Omron software.
(You may or may not be aware, that generally, I rarely respond to posts other than those that are Omron specific - so you may guess what MY PLC is ;) )

'Nuff said Paulus,

So... good-day to you, and if you don't mind, I'll say goodnight now!

It's after 3:00 am... gotta get my a$$ to bed! See ya!

All I want to say, is where have you been Terry?

As we all know, there are many ways to skin a cat ( or racoon )
and the best & most efficient way is established by the programmer at the time.

The platform that it is implemented on, is irrelevant of the 'best' method, as there may be better ways on each platform, or to each programmers preference.

note. I normally use omron, but have an open angle on implementation.