SLC500, 1994 model

chrisandersen

A thunderstorm last night caused this PLC to go into a fault condition. It is operating the start/stop/alarm for a medical vacuum pump system. I cycled the power a few times, but it always goes back into fault. I jumped out the input/outputs to start the pump, but need help on if this can be repaired/replaced. Thanks.

I have had SLC's get their memory scrambled during power quality issues, such as storms, brownouts etc...

You at least need someone to go online with the processor, and you may have to reload the PLC program.

Does your facility have the backup program? Do you have the required software and cable?

Contracting your local AB rep., or an Integrator may be your best option.

Ken

What CPU do you have? If it is the modular system, you may have just fried one I/O card, and the CPU may be intact.
You will need to read the fault flash code, in combination with the other status LEDs.
Post and I will try to help look them up.

Now it depends on the fault, have you tried cycling the key switch on front if it has one (which model)? Some minor faults will allow you to reset the PLC by turning the key switch to 'program' then to 'run'. If it is a major fault you would have to go on-line to find it and clear and possibly reload the program. That is if the CPU isn't fried, or the power supply, or some I/O, or the backplane. You might want to think about some power conditioning after the fix.