Creating a 4-20 ma source to troubleshoot Water Valve

Coachman

I should know this , but we had a modulating water valve
go bad this morning. I would like for the guys to test this on the bench. How can I take a bench Adjustable DC Power Supply and create
a 4-20 ma source to troubleshoot this valve. Like a range of 4.00,
8.00 ,16.00 ,and 20.00 ma.

Thanks Guys,

I'm SURE that the other members will have better ideas, but just to get you started, I've used two 9-volt batteries and a couple of 5K "volume control" potentiometers from Radio Shack for a makeshift rig ... we actually wrapped it up in Duck Tape ... a guy working on a tugboat in Charleston harbor needed one in a hurry - to test out the hydraulics on the boat's rudder control system ...

4 to 20 mA ... the stuff is everywhere ...

Coachman said:
go bad this morning. I would like for the guys to test this on the bench. How can I take a bench Adjustable DC Power Supply and create

Thanks Guys,

For future reference,

our field technies are supplied with these

My mind is going blank again. What is happening in the following components ?

The PLC Output:
- In the circuitry ,it is usally about 1 to 6 vdc ,what is creating
the varible current ?

The Valve, Freq Drive or any other device:
- What is the Device seeing? Is it going thru a current sensing
component ,and then going to a setpoint?

Sorry for sounding stupid.

PS Ron's idea is too much thinking...

I actually got the "emergency" request for this rig late one Friday afternoon when I worked for an electrical distributor ... a fire had put a tugboat out of commission - and the hydraulic rudder system was being repaired ... the "controls" guys weren't due in for a day or so, but the "hydraulics" guy needed to do a quick test to see if his part of the job was finished ... seems he had a rush job for another boat in Texas ... I told him we could order what he needed - the price tag was NOT an issue ... but he really needed to catch a plane that afternoon ... I told him what to get and he picked up a sack of parts from Radio Shack (a lot more parts than we needed - but he wanted to be "sure") ... I heated up the soldering iron while he was on the way to the office ...

ten minutes was all it took to kludge it together ... basically just a wad of duck tape - with red and black gator clip leads hanging out of one end - and the knob for the pot on the other ... he called me about an hour later - a very happy man on his way to Texas ... he said the rudder stroked back and forth just fine ...

sometimes a techician's gotta do what a technician's gotta do ...

Ron Beaufort said:
I'm SURE that the other members will have better ideas, but just to get you started, I've used two 9-volt batteries and a couple of 5K "volume control" potentiometers from Radio Shack for a makeshift rig ... we actually wrapped it up in Duck Tape ... a guy working on a tugboat in Charleston harbor needed one in a hurry - to test out the hydraulics on the boat's rudder control system ...

4 to 20 mA ... the stuff is everywhere ...

Ron, sounds like a real MacGyver contraption. I'd be interested in knowing what you could make if I gave you a paper clip, surgical rubber tubing, a shoe lace, and a turkey leg (cooked). :)

geniusintraining said:
I use this.... http://www.actionio.com/products/slimpak2/wv438_spec.html

100k pot input - 4-20 or 0-10 output then all you have to do is turn the pot and see the valve move, turn it 50% the valve should move to 50%

PS Ron's idea is too much thinking... my brain will hurt ;)

Mine's a little older.

converterPic_old.jpg

If you have a bench top power supply most of them have current regulation knobs. Couldn't you just adjust those?

Just a thought, never tried it, maybe wouldn't have enough resolution to adjust accurately enough.

Coachman said:
the varible current ?

Just to answer this part of your question.

OHMS LAW.... I=V/R..... I= 6/500

If you have 6 volts and it is being fed to a 500 ohm resistor then your answer is 12 mA
Most 4 to 20 mA loops are dropped across 250 ohms or 500 ohms impedence.
Co incidentally the instrument is most likely reacting to that derived voltage internally of 1 to 5 volts or 2 to 10 volts. to drive the electronics.

Last edited:
The PLC Output:
the varible current ?
The PLC will have an Analog Output Module. The module takes the DC supply voltage, runs it through an effective variable resistor [probably switching transistor] to produce a current that is proportional to a process feed-back variable. This output current is controlled by instructions in the PLC. The most common is a PID instruction, which calculates the level of the output based on the input parameter.

In the case of your water valve, the PLC probably has an input from a water flowrate transmitter downstream of the valve. The PLC analog output 4-20 mA current signal will be proportional to this input.
The Valve, Freq Drive or any other device:
- What is the Device seeing? Is it going thru a current sensing
component ,and then going to a setpoint?
The Device will be seeing (in your case) a varying DC current with a range of 4 to 20 miliamperes. The valve controller will have a signal-follower circuit that will probably be calibrated to make the valve go closed at 4 miliamps, go 50% open at 12 miliamps, 100% open at 20 miliamps, and proportionally open at all points in between. Or it could do the inverse, depending on the application.

Last edited:
Coachman said:

Thanks Guys,

The easiest way to hook it up to a variable power supply is to use a fixed value resister in series with the valve.
Using a multimeter measure the voltage drop accross the resistor and watch the multimeters displayed voltage to control your current flow through the loop.
Using a 1K ohm resistor would be easiest with each Volt displayed representing a milliamp. Range 4-20V
With a 500 ohm resistor the voltage will be from 2-10V with each half volt being another milliamp.
With a 250 ohm resistor the volatge will be 1-5V with each quarter of a volt being another milliamp.

On the bench it is simple:
put a mA meter in series and cranck up the voltage thats all.
if only one this is fine.
if more get a good processimulator yes i do have a fluke 725

i did have found one problem when using RTD when current is 2 mA instead of only one the meter goes bezirk.
bye