Explicit Programming for Rockwell Automation

Hello Friends,

I am new to this community as well as i am new as PLC programmer. Right now, i am using RS Logix 5000. I had done some programming for Servo controller.

Now, I want to use Explicit Programming. And really, i have no idea about this thing. Can you please guide me some material, documents or related information , always apprecitated.

I want to create some small application programme with Explicit messaging. With example, it should be great help.

Thanks in Advance.

Hello friends,

I want to creat explicit message with read and write parameters.
Can you guys help to give example?
I checked this sample code website but that example are totally different then what i want.

I want to read the data and write data through MSG.
So, can you give example regarding that.

thansk.

What manufacturer and model of servo controller are you using ? Can you link to a User Manual or an EDS file for the servo controller ?

Which parameters of the servo controller do you want to read and write ?

I am using Festo Drive. The product called "MTR DCI"Surely, i am attaching EDS file as well as manual also.
For this drive, i am using one protocol by festo itself called
FHPP(Festo Handling and Positioning Control).
I want to read the data of all this parameters.
Hey, i tried with MSG in ladder and everything is correct now. But, its showing me error 0011 which is for Reply data too large or Reply will not fit.
Can you guide me with this ?? What i should do with this ??

Thanks.
icon7.gif

Error no. 0011

HI Eddie,

Because of size limit, i am not able to attach Manual for this.
But you can find it on the website easily.

www.festo.com

I tried with MSG message and i used Get attribute where class (Hex)1, Object 1 and attribute is 3.

Error i got is : data is too large.
Error code : 0011

Once again thanks.

The "data is too large" message indicates that the amount of data returned by the message is larger than your Destination tag in the MSG instruction.

Watch the MSG instruction control word when you execute it; the "Done Length" will show you how many bytes were returned by the Message. Class 1/Instance 1/ Attribute 3 is the Product Code, which should be an UINT (16-bit unsigned integer) value.

The EDS file gives you all the object information you need to use Explicit Messaging to read and write the parameters in the drive.

For example, if you wanted to read the Actual Position, Parameter 284, you would examine the EDS file:

Param284 = 0,
6, "20 6B 24 01 30 45",
0x0011, 0xC4, 4, $ data type = INT32
"Position Actual Value", "Inc",
"Cl:0x6B, Attr:0x45, Inst:0x01 | PNU:1041 | CI:6064,00",
, , , , , , , , , 0 ;

The Object Path is in quotes above: "20 6B 24 01 30 45"
. You can decode that string of bytes to know that the parameter is Class 0x6B, Instance 0x01, Attribute 0x45. Festo chose also to show that information in the Help string. The EDS file also shows that this is a 32-bit Signed Integer, so your Destination tag should be a DINT.

Hi,

I had done exactly same what you advised me. But the thing is it's still showing me same error after changing even data type and all.

This 0011 error , i also checked with different attributes and match with EDS file, still it's showing me same error. And secondly, after activate MSG instruction, even not single data is showing me in destination as Read Task of parameter.

As Error 0011, Reply is too large but atleast some data should able to see or another meaning of 0011 is Reply data will not fit. So, do you think that some problems with connection in MSG instruction.

After configuration, we have connection right. That's also fine. It doesnt show me any error. But still i want to confirm with this. So, i will send second mail which show Workstation information.

And yes, one more quetion,in Rockwell for Unsigned interger, there is no option like that. We have INT, SINT,LINT but no UINT.
So, you know ..i had done one programme in which i can do all teh positioning, all modes operation. It's work fine.
But this explicit messaging, made me mad.

Really thanks dear for your fast reply.
icon30.gif

icon4.gif

I attach the rough drawing of workstation profile.
Can you tell me the connection ?

I used 1,3,2,2. It didnt show me any error regarding this. Can you check that word file in which workstation drawing will be there.?
And tell me if i used wrong connection in MSG.

Once again Thanks.

I think that 1,3,2,2 path will take you to the Output module in Slot 2, not to the DeviceNet.

The CompactLogix CIP Path is a little unusual because it considers the CompactBus to be another CIP bridge next to the system backplane. The acutal CIP path I think you need (for a Festo controller at DeviceNet Node 1) is 1,3,1,1,2,1

The good news is that in the PATH field of the MSG instruction you can just choose the 1769-SDN scanner module then designate the DeviceNet port (2) and the DeviceNet Node number of the Festo position controller. Your path statement then just replaces the path to the DeviceNet scanner with the scanner's module name:

Festo_MSG_Path.PNG

Hi Eddie,

You are absolutely right that Compact Logix is bitte complicated.
But what you advised me regarding communication is right.

I tried in this way and i also got it. The thing is communication address is 1,3, 1, 1, 2, 2 insted of 1,3,1,1,2,1.

I am really thanksful for your support and adivse. I would like to tell you one thing, you have fantastic knowledge.

Once again thanks.

icon14.gif

Hi...

I am able to read the data but not able to write. Only some parameter in MTRDCI i can write but still, it's giving me error of
0011 which is reply data too large. I tried with every data type option but still its showing me same.

I am using Set attributor, Source element which is tag and length what i want to write. And ya, the communication which is same as for reading.

So, do you have clue about that, why this error is coming?

Thanks in advance.