Slc 5/03

spud23

hello there, first post for me.
I have been trying without any success to connect using rs linx and logix to a slc 5/03 plc. it has an rs232 and rs 485 connection. my laptop has an rs 485 and i have a 232 to usb converter. i have tried all the auto config and manual settings- can anyone help please!!

Also, tell us more about your SLC5/03. Is this a working SLC?
Do you have the offline file? If so post it ( zip the .RSS file and post
if you can) we can then take a look at the channel configuration.
What are the brands of you USB to serail adapter(not all work) and of your USB to DH485
adapters.

it is a working slc, i dont have the offline file. its a project that was handed over on completion before i joined company. Some 5 years after handover there is a problem and i cant get into the pgm to try to id fault. It is connected to an E100 panel, i disconnect this before trying to get comms,Mickey will get all info you asked for - thanks for replies so far

Thanks again mickey, the usb converter is for a 232 connection. The 485 connection is striaght from laptop to plc,
Pete

to further answer question, i am using a usb - 232 converter and an AB 1747-cp3. ser a, rs 232 cable. The ethernet lead is one i have picked up from somewhere,

thanks

Well as stated above not all USB to Serial adapters work, thats why a I ask the brand. The Keyspan brand does, you can get one here ( see link)
http://www.plctrainer.net/
I'm still confused about you DH485 connection. You say straight from laptop? What port are you connecting to on your laptop? What cable are you using? What driver are you using in RSLinx?
You mention ethernet lead, do not connect your laptop's ethernet port to the SLC's DH485 port, you will (might) damage you computers ethernet port.
If you do not have a real serial port and want to connect to The SLC's DH485 port then you will need the 1747-UIC. (see above link)

Last edited:
the port i am using is the network port, i use this to connect to a SLC 5/05 - i take it its not a good idea with the 5/03?! i think that the usb 232 configuration should work as i have connected to a 5/05 and got comms previous. so using df1 rs232 in rs linx for serial connection, and ethernet devices using 485 straight from CPU to Laptop (out of ignorance and desperation admittedly!)

Don't get desperate quite yet.

Unplug that "Ethernet" cable. The SLC-5/03's Channel 1 RJ45 jack is not Ethernet. It uses an older proprietary network called "Data Highway 485". In fact, when it was invented, Ethernet still ran on co-axial cable.

Later you'll need to test your computer's Ethernet port. That RJ45 connector you connected to has +24V DC on one of the pins to power the Data Highway 485 peripherals and isolators and it might have damaged your Ethernet port.

When the SLC-5/03's Channel 0 (that *is* an RS-232 port!) is at its default settings, it is very easy to connect. When a specialty device like an "E100 panel" is connected, the settings might have been changed to something that can't be auto-detected.

Does the E100 configuration file (if you have it) tell you what protocol and serial settings are being used. ?

Thanks Eddie, dont have any information on the E100, but do have e-designer software and may have to download a driver for E100, was reading lint to 'Goodys' post - the reset option there would probably mean that my comms would be lost to the E100?
again thanks for your time