Something about RSView ME & SE

flyers

Hi guys,

I'm looking at the RSView SE. A browse from the website it has a number of packages like;

RSView.JPG

1) May I ask, what is the difference between SE station 250 display and SE Client?

2) I assume the difference between client and view client is view client can only view the graphic, can't click to start/stop the field device? am i right?

3) Unlimited means no tag limitation?

4) There is no RSView Studio/development for RSView SE?

5) For RSView ME, if Studio and Station is sell seperately, if I'm a devleoper I just need to buy Studio for development, but how can I test if the graphic is working correctly without Station? Meaning at the end I still need to get Station + Studio as well? Am I right?

Thanks guys....

Last edited:
SE is different than RSView 32. Before it was one software package. Now you will have to purchase 2 packages for SE.

The developer (Client?) allows you to create and test up to 5 screens, if you need more than that you will need to purchase the Station or Server displays as needed.
If it was a small job with only up to 5 screens, you could get by with the developer only if it is installed on a stand alone computer only.

Unlimited means no screen display limits.

Make sure you purchase the right package in the beginning, A-B has a 25% restocking fee once you open the package.

Hello flyers;

Maybe this can clear a few questions:
1) RSView Station and RSView Client

Rockwell distinguishes 2 types of project for RSView SE: standalone (STATION) and distributed (SERVER/CLIENT). A STATION is a standalone machine that contains both the server and client applications.

2) Client and View Client

Sorry, can’t answer that one. We haven’t studied that possibility.

3) “Unlimited”

The term “Unlimited” is not used with tags but with displays (graphic screens). RSView calls “tags” what we used to call internal (or memory) tags; and their number is not limited. Registers that are collected from the PLC are “connections” and are unlimited also (connections through OPC (RSLinx Classic or Enterprise)). Displays include full sized screens and all popups if you use them.

4) Development for RSView SE

The development package RSView Studio for RSView Enterprise can be used for RSView SE Distributed, for RSView SE Station, and for RSView ME. You buy RSView Studio for ME as a separate package only if you need to program PV+ HMIs, and not the SCADA level.

5) Studio for ME (development)

If you buy RSView Studio for ME, you can program PanelView+ HMIs, or Windows CE HMIs. PV+ comes with the unlimited ME runtime license imbedded, so no RT necessary. For the CE stations, you need a runtime license for ME (with the number of displays to your choice).

In RSView Studio, you have a Test functionality, same as you could find in RSView 32. You can use it to see how the screen looks like in full screen; but there are no communication functions included, so the values will not appear, there are no screen navigation options… We always keep a PV+ handy for our local tests (each ME project has to be designed for a specific screen size, for a PV+1250 it is 800*640; it cannot be adapted to another size, PV+1000 or PV+1500 for example. So your test HMI must match the final design of the project.

Hope this helps,
Daniel Chartier
Edit: Sorry Mark, your answer was faster than mie.

View-Only client is exactly that, you cannot write to any tags with it. Typically, used in a supervisor's station, or such, where you wan't to let someone be able to "Look, but not Touch".

As stated above, the unlimited version is unlimited in terms of displays (screens) that an application can have, but does NOT refer to tags. RSView SE (I guess "Factory Talk View Site Edition" now, does indeed have a tag limit. You cannot have more than 1,000 tags on a single display. Multiple references to the same tag count as multiple tags for the 1000/display count.

RSLinx Lite (Classic) is still auto-enabled as an I/O server on any computer running FTView Server. With Version 5.x of FTView SE (but not ME), FTView SE supports FT Alarms and Events, but that requires that you use a licensed RSLinx Enterprise for any devices that will host device based alarms.

Hi guys,

Thanks for the replies,

"You buy RSView Studio for ME as a separate package only if you need to program PV+ HMIs, and not the SCADA level." & "If you buy RSView Studio for ME, you can program PanelView+ HMIs, or Windows CE HMIs"

But 2 years ago one of my colleague has developed a RSViewME project using RSView Studio for ME and the project has been installed in a Windows 2000 computer (c/w a 1784-PKTX) to communicate with PLC5 & SLC 500 thru DH+. The computer has been installed with RSView Station 30 display.

Am I making any mistake or misunderstanding your statement?

Guys, please clarify me, Thank you.

Hasn't Rockwell replaced RSView with Factory Talk View? Or are they in the process of phasing out the former?