RSLogix 5000: Freezing upon Uploading: "Compressing the Database"

kdcui

Lifetime Supporting Member
RSLogix5K has been freezing occasionally when trying to upload from the controller (in this case a ControlLogix5563 (1756-L63). It occurs at the very end of the upload when "Compressing the Database."

However when I connect to the controller and upload, having it save as a new file, it works fine. This only seems to happen when I am trying to upload and save over an existing copy of the project and apply changes.

Once this problem occurs with a particular file, it will no longer upload and I must use the procedure with a new file, as described above.

It has happened numerous times in the past, and it seems to be a problem with v16. Just upgraded to a pre-release of 17, but this problem still exists.

I am wondering if anyone might know how do get around this, or if there is a fix form AB?

In the meantime, I keep having to export my comments and descriptions fromthe copy that can't be uploaded toto the uploaded "fresh" copy.

Thanks

Last edited:
V16 has a few known bugs but I haven't seen the one you are describing yet. I have encountered installs that appear to mess up a associated Rockwell product. You might try reinstalling Logix and/or Linx. No necessarily at the same time.

Is this problem something new or has it been a problem from the 1st install of v16? No thoughts here but perhaps the 1st install didn't go in correctly or another application messed up the Logix v16 install.

Where are you saving the file? I have seen Logix get confused if the drive disappears during a save - say a mapped network drive goes away for a bit.

Logix I think usually complains if a file is read-only but file attributes is also something to check.

You may also look at unused tags possibly deleting them and cleaning up the tag database.

Addon to my previous reply

The File Menu has a Compact command which I have never used and Help indicates will remove fragmentation in the project file. It may be something to try.

Thanks for the reply.

I have tried both saving to a mapped and my local drive with the same result.

There are about 2 or 3 other engineers running V16 projects and they also have had the issue since that version was installed.

The database is quite large: over 2100 tags, some of those are arrays of 3000 words long.

The odd thing is, even when I make the projects the same (logic and tags, not descriptions and comments) with the Compare Tool, the newer file will still upload fine, and the "working" copy freeze up.

It makes me think that it has something to do with the file itself, and not the project/controller properties.

I'll give your suggestions a try and see if it helps.

Thanks

EDIT:
The File Menu has a Compact command which I have never used and Help indicates will remove fragmentation in the project file. It may be something to try.

Have not seen that before, sounds promising.

kdcui said:
The odd thing is, even when I make the projects the same (logic and tags, not descriptions and comments) with the Compare Tool, the newer file will still upload fine, and the "working" copy freeze up.

Hmm... If I followed you correctly, saving a new file and importing tags should I think 'lose' any corruption in the file. I am more inclined to think this is another v16 bug which appears to have been carried over as you mentioned into v17 (which we do not have yet - we hold off a little to let Rockwell iron the bugs out).

Your project also has a significant number of tags. I've worked with projects with similar number of tags without problems but the tags have been moderately divided between controller scoped and various tasks with their program scoped tags. Arrays are typically smaller but we use a lot of custom UDTs some very size-able.

You might try seaching Rockwell's Knowledgebase and it also occurred to me that it could be edition specific. I use the enterprise edition.

I'd say this is one to bounce off of Rockwell Tech Support.

What versions of RSLogix5000 and RSLinx are you using?

How about the firmware revision of the L63?

Yep, the tags are definitely spread out among tasks, and we also have a 2nd controller from/to which we receive/send messages.

There are also ample amounts of UDTs.

I'll browse around Rockwell and see what I can dig up.

Thanks again.

RSLogix5K:
If I begin a rev 17 project, the full version number is P004_int_v17.00_03_06_12_28 (CPR 9). I think tihs will be release in August, officially. There was an update pertaining to the HART Protocol which was needed.

But the project currently on the controller is running under V16.03.00 (CPR 9). Our intentions are to swap the logic and database into rev17

Linx Classic:
rev 2.54.00.02

I believe there was a update to it which came with v17 of Logix.

I should probably mention I have Factory Talk ME installed, which has RSLinx Enterprise integrated with it.

L63 Firmware:
rev 16.20

Last edited:
Software installs on my end are similar with the exception of v17 and Linx at 2.52. I also have Factory Talk although not sure if it is ME.

V16 has not given me any problems with multiple processors, messageing, or produced/consumed tags.

I'm still thinking a v16 bug. As mentioned I'd ask Rockwell. Depending upon what they find they may place the question and response in their knowledgebase. I've had good response times from them via email and had engineers call me to follow-up.