Non-Contact Hand Tachometer

Psymon

Hi Fellas -

Does anyone know if there is some sort of non-contact hand tach available that does measurement in ft/min? All the ones I've found are in RPM and measuring some of the lengths or diameters of these driven parts would be almost impossible.

Thanks guys....Jay

The non-contact velocimeters I have worked with fall into two categories:

1. Photocell looking at a reflector on a spinning shaft and some math. These are common and cheap, but you have ruled them out.

2. High tech (read expensive) CCD or lasers that measure the velocity directly from a surface. All those like this I have worked with are fixed mount units and must be carefully adjusted for a limited range. I have never seen one that is handheld.

Wish I knew of one myself, and if you find something new let us know...

I didn't know if there was a company out there that sold these things with a pre-printed piece of tape that would have alternating pieces of material every inch or two. Have it be a foot or two feet long. I'm just getting sick of speed tracking gigantic drums that are warmed up to 400 degrees going 1000+ fpm.

I guess I wasn't exactly looking for something handheld as I was looking for something portable. Something I could mount would be ideal since that would my the "oh **** this thing is flying" nervous hand tremors out of the equation.

What about a speed probe? We use speed probes quite successfully on some of our compressors here. A proximitor with the probe installed just off the shaft should do the trick quite nicely. Admittedly, the speed readout is in RPM, but if you are willing to mount a unit, getting the outside diameter (there must be design spec sheets somewhere) and placing a conversion factor in the control system shouldn't be much of a hassle. Only drawback is the probe needs to be relatively close to the shaft (max about 1,5 cm, model dependent) in order to interrupt the EMF sufficiently to produce a reading, and I'm not sure what clearances you're dealing with here. You'll also have to have some sort of recess or extrusion in order to produce a Hz frequency the proximitor can convert into a useable reading.

Not sure if this helps.

Last edited: