Datalogging to SQL

andyonafognak

Can i hear some voices of experience using different software packages to log data from PLC's (PLC5 for us) into SQL. Currently we use RSSQL. We want to expand the number of tags collected which would mean big increases in licensing costs. What do you guys use and how do you like it? RSSQL works for us but it is expensive, difficult to configure. Difficult to restore after a PC or software failure. We are hoping there is something better out there.

FactorySQL is a drag and drop OPC to SQL data logger. It's easy to use and can be evaluated for free.

The licensing includes unlimited tags and you would be able to continue to use RSLinx (any version but the free "lite").

The FactorySQL Training videos illustrate configuration. Configuration restoration is a simple process.

To address the other parts of your questioning:
I've used RSSQL years ago. Other OPC data loggers exist, such as Software Toolbox products or Matrikon. I haven't used these personally. Here are videos showing configuring the software toolbox datalogger - more steps than FactorySQL, but not nearly as involved as the painful 7 step process I recall with RSSQL.

andyonafognak said:
Can i hear some voices of experience using different software packages to log data from PLC's (PLC5 for us) into SQL. Currently we use RSSQL. We want to expand the number of tags collected which would mean big increases in licensing costs. What do you guys use and how do you like it? RSSQL works for us but it is expensive, difficult to configure. Difficult to restore after a PC or software failure. We are hoping there is something better out there.

Have you looked at the pricing for FactorySQL?
I was prepared to try it out, but for that kind of money, there are many other options....

After paying Rockwell for tech support, licensing and upgrades for years, FactorySQL looked like a bargain. But as i said I am looking for those "other options". What are they?

We actually do computer systems too.

andyonafognak said:
After paying Rockwell for tech support, licensing and upgrades for years, FactorySQL looked like a bargain. But as i said I am looking for those "other options". What are they?
We use MySQL on QNX or Linux. Our applications are high speed applications where a lot of data if moved around. I am not directly involved with the 'computer systems' projects anymore so I will have to ask how the guys like the MySQL but I am sure I would have heard complaints if it didn't work as advertised. MySQL is 'free'. I have version 4 on my Mac on which I am writing this post.
http://dev.mysql.com/downloads/
The two guys working on the project using MySQL have a lot of Linux experience. It took some configuring to get MySQL to work under QNX but it didn't take too long. The HMI is being written in PHP on the Linux box but once written the PHP HMI can run on web browsers anywhere. There is a Compact Logix involved too but it just does a little I/O for the Advantech industrial PC. So far no one has paid any attention to the Compact Logix except to make sure Ethernet/IP works on the QNX box.

Yep, it's a flat price $1,995 including upgrades - a bit cheaper for integrators. It is capable of a lot more than just data logging - like what RSSQL does.

I believe strictly data logging OPC utilities average about $895 and probably go as low as $500. Evaluate those as well - just make sure that you're logging to an SQL database.

This price range sounds very reasonable considering that your original post mentioned that the scope of your project is exceeding your RSSQL licensing.

Keep in mind how much time you'll spend on such a project. One of my favorite quotes from my old boss at an IT job - "Linux is only free if you're time isn't worth anything". I like Linux and that quote.

SNK said:
Have you looked at the pricing for FactorySQL?
I was prepared to try it out, but for that kind of money, there are many other options....

Pete - FactorySQL is the data logging portion. Not the database or the HMI. It works with MySQL, MS SQL Server, DB2, Oracle, PostgreSQL, etc.

Harry, you know that's a bad idea - I'm surprised you'd suggest such a thing after going through it. Believe me, your pains aren't over yet. Unless you're a programmer writing for an OEM or something similar:

*It'll cost you significantly more to write than buy (at minimum wage)
*This app may run for years - Supporting it will be a nightmare. For you or especially someone else. Buy a package and you get support - it becomes their problem.
*You don't have the economy of scale or experience that companies that specialize in this do. Features like: locally caching data upon loss of a network connection, redundancy, automatic table generation, and others will likely never get supported. They often include cool features like: alarming, deadbands/scaling, expressions, triggers, and tunneling capabilities.
*Just hope that you don't have any memory leaks or other odd intermittent problems.
*Hope that the computer will never need to be upgraded...

Trust me - that's not the way to go!

harryting said:
You can always write a VB app. Did this once and it was painful since I wasn't all that good with VB.

Last edited:
Mega OPC Data Logger

andyonafognak said:

Hi man! I use this soft. And I like it. Just try Mega OPC Data Logger. http://opcdatalogger.googlepages.com/