Notebook PCMIA 485DH+ card crashing PLC5

C. Marshall

Anyone have an idea why a PLC5/40E would crash when connecting to a notebook via PCMIA 485DH+ interface card? RSLinx initially showed the driver was Running but with an error. Stopped the driver and restarted. System crashed. Had to reconfigure the IP address of the PLC5/40E and reinstall the program.

Just to be clear is this the 1784-PCMK card you are using? And what cable
are you using and what port did you try to connect to. Is this the first time you have used this device?
Did you try again or is this just a one time thing?

Last edited:
Mickey said:
Just to be clear is this the 1784-PCMK card you are using? And what cable
are you using and what port did you try to connect to. Is this the first time you have used this device?
Did you try again or is this just a one time thing?
Yes, using 1784-PMCK. Comm 2 @ 56k, station 77 octal. I have used this card/setup to download Panelview screens on PLC5s before. I am just concerned with some anomoly that I don't want to see again.:)
Thanks.

I have heard, I think it was a post on this site some time ago now. You could have problems like that if the power for your laptop is a different source then the PLC power causing a difference in ground potential. Bad things happen when comm. equipment is plugged in. You might try running your laptop on just batteries next time. WAQ

Good suggestion. However, I was actually running on batteries at the time because it was just going to be one of those quick on and off downloads. Well... I am game to give it another go. I will wait until we are offline with process to do it. I have never had something like that happen before. Not only did process shut down, but when I tried to restart/go online, there was no IP address configured for that network. Strange! But thanks, Mikey, for the input. Anything else you think of, reply back.

C. Marshall said:
Anyone have an idea why a PLC5/40E would crash when connecting to a notebook via PCMIA 485DH+ interface card? RSLinx initially showed the driver was Running but with an error. Stopped the driver and restarted. System crashed. Had to reconfigure the IP address of the PLC5/40E and reinstall the program.

I look at the quote above and your replies and I am not clear as to which port you are wanting to use and if it is DH+,....485,....RS232,....or ethernet that you are setting up the comms driver for
Are you able to clarify this using attached picture.

PLC540eth.JPG

Thanks, Gil, for the reply. To clarify... I am using a 1784-PCMK Series B card from my Windows XP Professional notebook PCMCIA slot to connect to the PLC5/40E DH+ mini-din port. The installed communications driver (RSLinx) is correct for the card type and the port set to 77 octal, and baud is selected at 57.6k. I am using the appropriate cable between the 1784 and the PLC5.
This fault has occurred only once, and I am trying to get a bit more information about others' experiences with this situation so that I might understand what may have happened. I have never had this happen before where starting a driver caused a system stop and the I/P addy of the PLC5/40e on the ethernet side to crash.
Thanks for your I/O.

"When in doubt...solder!"