Continuing to learn rslogix

Goody

Hi again, some of you will have read my first post on me learning rslogix 500 and playing with a Micrologix 1500 LRP 24BWA.

So here is part 2 of my questions;

I have spent the last week writing small programs, including math and compares and all the things you need to learn on a new system and even though its been tough and a lot of trial and error, I feel I have made good progress.(I am primarily a Mitsubishi man)

However, one thing looms on the horizon.

I have soon to connect to one (or more) plc’s that are on a ethernet network to alter some code and timer presets. How do I go about this when I don’t know what each station number is and they are on an ethernet driver (My terminology might be wrong here - so I hope you know what I mean)

Basically I want to go to the plc, upload the program from it alter what I need then download the revised version - leaving everything as it was on the network.

I read about the reset button putting it to channel 0 and then maybe something about pressing it again to put it back as it was but boy I have done A LOT of reading this last week and so I am not really sure of my facts anymore

Any help with this will be appreciated.

Goody:
In order to connect your computer to plc´s with ethernet port you have to use the same software package you´ve been using so far, i.e. rslinx, I do not know what version you got, but you have to use a different driver in this case change the DF1 you´ve been using for Ethernet devices, once the new driver is installed you have to configure it, confuguration consists in writing IP addresses of the devices to be used (plc´s addresses), rslinx has a lot of options but what i mentioned is the basic and if you use the same procedure you are used to with DF1 protocol you will be able to work with your plc´s with ethernet port. Once you can see you plc´c thru rslinx, then you can use rslogix to see your plc online.

As mentioned above, this will depend on your version of RSLinx, but you should be able to use the EthernetIP driver (if your devices support it). So basically, if your PLC's are in the same subnet your ETH/IP driver should autobrowse the network and give you an overview of each device detected.

If you select 'Comms' then 'System comms' from within Logix500 (with Linx running) you should see a representation of your network and be able to 'Upload/Download/Go Online' etc from there.

This is just a pointer, but may give you some direction to aim for!

Hope this helps.

Rob

(ps - i actually made the reverse journey some months ago Goody, and went from the 'comfort' of AB to the dark and murky world of mitsi!! :confused: )

Goody,

Open up any of your programs you have offline. Then on left side double click Channel configuration
channel 1 system

your computer I-P address has to be in the same format. That should get you started.

George