Newbie Needing Help with RSSQL/Transaction Manager

lonegator

I'm an IT guy who's been thrown into the loop of the PLC world due to my company being a little short-handed. I have an AB Micrologix 1200, RSLinx and RSSQL. I have successfully set up a DDE connection in RSLinx and can pull the data that I need off the PLC into an Excel spreadsheet. Since I am going to be monitoring data over the long term, I wanted to set up a SQL database. I created a new database with a new table but am having a heck of a time getting RSSQL to successfully pull data from the PLC into the SQL table. Does anyone have any step-by-step instructions on how to do this? I thought I had it set up right but am just getting NULL figures in my table and my RSSQL error log states "(52068) HIST: The software received invalid column field data for Column Input Number(1) of enterprise connector testname." Any suggestions/advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Doug

The best advice I can give is go through the step-by-step it gives you in RSSQL.

Unfortunately its still relatively complicated but at least have a stab at that and maybe if you come back with some specific questions we can work through those.

not too much help here :-(

Doug,
You've taken the correct approach to use DDE to see PLC values in an Excel spreadsheet, then use an SQL database and a more powerful application for data logging. RSSQL is a complicated program that requires a lot to be configured "just so" in order to function properly.

Besides bringing in an expert or attending training yourself, your best bet is just "typical troubleshooting" - break the problem down, recreate steps, use Google, etc. I would compare the column types in your database table to the tags that you're logging. Try creating the simplest case of logging one tag from scratch and work from there.

I had a heck of a time getting RSSQL to do anything correctly in my one project, and we gave up in another. That was many years ago, though, and I'm sure the product has since matured. Hopefully someone here with recent experience can provide useful specific advice. You might get responses from a few Rockwell affiliates here (although they tend to focus more on hardware) or SLCIntegrator (who's mentioned a successful RSSQL install on more than one occasion.

My $.02 - Good luck.

lonegator said:
I'm an IT guy who's been thrown into the loop of the PLC world due to my company being a little short-handed. I have an AB Micrologix 1200, RSLinx and RSSQL. I have successfully set up a DDE connection in RSLinx and can pull the data that I need off the PLC into an Excel spreadsheet. Since I am going to be monitoring data over the long term, I wanted to set up a SQL database. I created a new database with a new table but am having a heck of a time getting RSSQL to successfully pull data from the PLC into the SQL table. Does anyone have any step-by-step instructions on how to do this? I thought I had it set up right but am just getting NULL figures in my table and my RSSQL error log states "(52068) HIST: The software received invalid column field data for Column Input Number(1) of enterprise connector testname." Any suggestions/advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!