1794-AENT Establishing a connection

The G Man

Hi Everybody hope you all get to enjoy your long weekend.
My problem is this, I have a 1794-AENT ethernet adapter module that is connected to my input and output modules. Recently an error message appeared on the HMI that read "Node comm failure" okay I know what that means so I checked the 1794-AENT Adapter and noticed that the network status indicator was flashing green. My troubleshooting guide says that means "Adapter has obtained an IP address, but has no established connections" do they mean connections to my I/O modules or connection back to the PLC, like possibly a broken wire or something. If any one has experienced this please help me out.

Thanks
The G Man

I believe it means there is not an established I/O connection with the PLC. If there was a problem with the adapter local bus, I think it would be indicated by one of the other LEDs.

Both your PLC's ethernet port, and the AENT, must have compatable ethernet addresses, i.e. they must be in the same subnet. Check all your IP addresses are using the same subnet mask, and that where there is a "1" in the mask, the IP addresses all must match.

Example :-
subnet mask 255.255.255.0
equivalent to 11111111.11111111.11111111.00000000 (in binary).
IP addresses 172.100.10.4, 172.100.10.5 etc. would be compatable, but 172.100.12.4 would not be compatable with either of the above, because the third octet in the address is different.
You said that the AENT "has obtained an address", are you using BOOTP to deliver its address at power-on, or is it configured as "static".

If addressing looks OK, try using "Ping" on your PC(in Windows :- click "Start", "Run", type CMD, & press enter).

Ping each device in turn, e.g. PING 172,100,10,5. Check if all devices can be seen on the network.