WinXP remote desktop and RSLogix

George Graziano

Lifetime Supporting Member
I'm trying for the first time to vpn into work computer and remote desktop a laptop that has Rslogix 500 and Rslogix 5000. I tried starting both of them and they both claimed copy protection eror, why? Any help would be appreciated, or is there a different solution?

Thanks
George

Humm - that's odd. It wouldn't surprise me that they would detect Remote Desktop in recent versions. Here's a few things to try:

1. start->run-> mstsc /console
The "console" session (0) is more like being on the computer itself using the local: keyboard, mouse, and monitor. This will log off whoever is sitting in front of the computer.

2. Try dameware or some version of VNC. These tend to work more like you would expect remote control.

George Graziano said:
I'm trying for the first time to vpn into work computer and remote desktop a laptop that has Rslogix 500 and Rslogix 5000. I tried starting both of them and they both claimed copy protection eror, why? Any help would be appreciated, or is there a different solution?

Thanks
George

I have a few customers that allow me to log into their plant using vpn. After i am connected through vpn, i use vnc software to connect to different pc's. I use software from realvnc.com. I have never had a problem using rs logix 5, 500, or panelbuilder.

Derek

I'm at home right now. Do I get on the computer at work and type that? I brought my laptop home from work, I log into it using my work username and password. I then click on a shortcut the IT guy setup on my laptop. I use the login username and password of the laptop at work. I am then looking at that windows desktop. This is when I tried to start RSLogix with no luck.

Thanks
George

I do have RSLogix 500 on my laptop I brought home. We have a vendor that hooks up to the same laptop using gotomeeting and that works great. I didn't think we needed to spend 30.00 a month to go that route.

George

Type that command on the remote (home) computer. That's how the shortcut opens remote desktop - the difference is that you're attempting to connect to the "console" session.

Again, run "mstsc /console"

George Graziano said:
I'm at home right now. Do I get on the computer at work and type that? I brought my laptop home from work, I log into it using my work username and password. I then click on a shortcut the IT guy setup on my laptop. I use the login username and password of the laptop at work. I am then looking at that windows desktop. This is when I tried to start RSLogix with no luck.

Thanks
George

surferb said:
Type that command on the remote (home) computer. That's how the shortcut opens remote desktop - the difference is that you're attempting to connect to the "console" session.

Again, run "mstsc /console"
Nathan, are you sure its not -console. When i log into my servers, i type mstsc /v:IPADDRESS -console

Yep - "mstsc /?" pops a Usage window that displays all the optional parameters.

BobO - That thread is right on topic, but I didn't see a definitive response regarding Remote Desktop. You had some speculation, some people that couldn't get it to work, and others that successfully used PCAnywhere or other remote control apps (we already knew those would work...).

ghettofreeryder said:
Nathan, are you sure its not -console. When i log into my servers, i type mstsc /v:IPADDRESS -console

Last edited:
It was in a past life and I don't remeber all the details of how the sessions were setup but RA said there was at the time a know issue starting RS500 with remote desktop that had FT activation.
After that I just left 500 running.

HTH

I guess I will just have someone from work start up either program first. Then use remote desktop to find the issue.

Thanks
George

controlled said:
I have a few customers that allow me to log into their plant using vpn. After i am connected through vpn, i use vnc software to connect to different pc's. I use software from realvnc.com. I have never had a problem using rs logix 5, 500, or panelbuilder.

Derek

we use RealVnc all the time , even on dial up applications via dialup networking.

http://www.realvnc.com/products/download.html

I haven't had to try it myself. I have used PCAnywhere and VNC to do the same but not Remote Desktop.

From RA Knowledgebase

Remote Desktop with FactoryTalk Activation

Question
What Activations will work with Remote Desktop and Teminal Services?

Copy Protection: XP Remote Desktop

Answer

Summary:

FactoryTalk Activation Node-Locked activations cannot be used in a Remote Desktop or Terminal Services session, whether those node-locked activations are installed on the local or remote computer.

Remote desktop display utilities (e.g. VNC, LOGMEIN.com) may allow the use of a node-locked activation on a remote computer.

Rockwell Automation does not endorse or support any remote desktop display solutions of this type.

Concurrent activations may be used by remote computers during a Remote Desktop or Terminal Services session when those computers can make a TCP/IP connection to a FactoryTalk Activation Server. Configure the remote computers Client Activation Path (via the FactoryTalk Activation Tool) to point to the appropriate server name.

You can use remote desktop to install any of those other products. Did you ever try connecting to the "console" session with remote desktop then running RSLogix?

George Graziano said:
I guess I will just have someone from work start up either program first. Then use remote desktop to find the issue.

Thanks
George