Quick scaling question

bigrthanur

Having a brain block, If i go from a 4-20 ma. scale to a 3-15psi how do i scale again. like say if I have 10ma. how many psi should i have?

Thanks!

Just take the difference between your higher and lower pressure(12 psi).

Then the difference between the upper and lower current range(16 mA).

Divide the pressure difference by the current difference and this will give you a scaling factor of 0.75 psi per mA.

Jon.

If you are wondering how Ron derived the numbers, the equation is the algebra 101 line equation, y=mx+b

X is the raw input.
Y is the scaled value.

M is the slope and it is defined as: EUMax-EUMin/Input_Max-InputMin
In this case,
(15psi - 3 psi) / (20mA-4mA) = 12psi/16ma = .75psi/mA

b is the y intercept offset = EUMin - (InputMin*M)

So for an input of 10mA,

y = m x + b

y = (( .75psi/mA )*10mA) + [3psi - (4mA * .75psi/mA)]
y = (7.5psi) + 3psi - 3psi
y = 7.5psi

Note that the b term is zero in this particular case, it often is zero, but not always. Whenever a transducer has a non-zero lower limit, don't automatically assume that b will be zero.

Also note that I included the units, psi, and mA as part of the numbers in the calculation and that the mA units all cancel out,
leaving the answer in only the units I wanted, ie psi. I find that this practice helps me keep from making mistakes in the process.

Last edited:
how did you come up with the .75 number?

be careful what you ask for ...

go to the "Sample Lessons" area on my website ... I've posted about 40 pages of detailed "scaling" instructions on there ... it ended up being so long that I broke it into two PDF files so that more people could download it without a time out ...

you can also read a lot of the original material right off the forum here:

http://www.plctalk.net/qanda/showthread.php?p=101766&postcount=1

but it's usually easier to print from the PDFs ...

Henny and Jon R have the right idea - in a much condensed form ... and Alaric - who posted while I was typing ...

Last edited:
Go to PLCS.net Downloads section, click on the Misc selection and download the Excel file 'scaling chart.xls'. This is good for calibration charts to be used in the field.