siemens 5 and 7 series plcs

can anyone help i have an interview on friday and the company use siemens brand plc i have only used omron and fanuc plcs any good sites i can check out to get some info on them also what operating software do you use for siemens any replys would be gateful cheers guys Mark

Hello Mark;
Siemens PLCs belong to 2 basic families, S5 and S7.
S5 PLCs are older, very robust (which is why they are still in use) and are programmed through a DOS-based software known as Step 5.
S7 PLCs come in 3 levels, S7-200 (with its own software, MicroWin) and S7-300 or S7-400, programmed through Step 7.
Both Step 7 and Step5 use a different programming structure than do most other PLCs on the market. Instead of a linear, one file program, they use a structured programming style that resembles a C program: a main() file (OB1) calling procedures and sub-routines (FBs and FCs for S7, PBs and FBs for S5)that control different functions of the process.
One of the possible information source for the S5 and S7 manuals is the Siemens support webpage:

http://www4.ad.siemens.de/csinfo/li...nfo&wttree=productnodes&lang=en&objID=4000024

You can also use the Search function of this website; you will be surprised at the number of hiots you can find on S7-300 or S5-115U, step5 or Step7.

Hope this helps,
Daniel Chartier

dchartier said:
S5 PLCs are older, very robust (which is why they are still in use) and are programmed through a DOS-based software known as Step 5.
In actually, it is even CP/M based, emulated for DOS.

Seppo,

you're right, but from version 6 on it's DOS based, or in a DOS-window under Windows.

Kind regards,