SLC 5/04 version

monsam

Hi All
Is it possible to change a SLC 5/04 OS401 to a Series C version by upgrading the firmware? I dont want to change the physical CPU as it is working perfectly but i want to do some BTR and BTW functions.

Last edited:
monsam said:
Hi All
Is it possible to change a SLC 5/04 OS401 to a Series C version by upgrading the firmware? I dont want to change the physical CPU as it is working perfectly but i want to do some BTR and BTW functions.

I have upgraded older 5/04s to a new OS to get the BTR/W functions so i would say YES, but check with your local ABrep...

Hi Dave,

were you able to purchase the upgrade kit and do the upgrade yourself ?

Based on reading some of the other threads here, I thought that you could purchase an upgrade in the form of a module which plugged into the EPROM slot and upgrade the Firnmware for a number of processors with the one kit?

Rockwell Tech Support told me that the 5/04 firmware was not field upgradeable and needed to be returned to Rockwell for upgrade. (Maybe it depends on the OS and/or hardware version though.)

Regards
Dave

Hi Dave.

I have upgraded several OS401 B to OS401 C by means of the firmware upgrade EPROM. I have not encountered any information that it is not possible for some versions.

Hi Jesper,

thanks a lot for the reply, I'll go back and check with Rockwell again. From another thread, I've taken a note of the part number for the firmware upgrade - "1747-OS401 (Firmware Kit)".

I wonder if you might be able to confirm that's the part number that you have used please ?

Regards
Dave

At the moment I have lent out my firmware upgrade module, so it will be some time before I can check with what is printed on it. And it is maybe 7 years since I purchased it, so I cannot locate the purchase documents (or anything from last week for that matter).

But with that description, I would assume that it is a safe bet it is the current firmware version for an SLC5/04.

Hi Jesper,

thanks for that. Seven yours ago sounds like your Firmware is probably Series C FRN 6 or 7. I think that the latest 5/04 Firmware is OS401 Series C FRN 11 (2008), so maybe there are some limits to what can be upgraded, but I have asked Rockwell the question again, so we'll see,

Regards
Dave

RA in the UK are nearly always wrong, the best advice is here, second to that is RA in the states (but dont tell em you are in the uk!!)

The firmware kits i have ordered here start with an "F" and have the same part number as posted above, ill have a look at mine on Tuesday and let you know, or you could ring those k***s at routeco :) !!!

SLC-5/03 and 5/04 controllers are upgraded using a firmware loading plug. SLC-5/05 controllers are upgraded using the ControlFlash utility over Ethernet. The firmware kit can be used to upgrade any number of controllers.

Firmware for SLC-5/0x controllers is a chargeable part number, about $170 USD.

1747-OS302 for SLC-5/03
1747-OS401 for SLC-5/04
1747-DU501 for SLC-5/05

The "Series C" designation can refer to both firmware and hardware. In particular, SLC-5/05 Series C hardware has an improved Ethernet daughtercard with 10/100 Mb/s functionality. SLC-5/03 and /04 hardware remains functionally identical.

Any* SLC-5/03 or 5/04 controller can be upgraded to the current Operating System 302 or 401, Series C FRN 11 firmware using an upgrade plug.

*Some 1992/1993 vintage OS300 or OS400 controllers cannot be upgraded. I don't know how to identify those.