ctrl logix to pv1000 via Rio

exiled

Hi folks
Can any one shed some light on how a Logix 5555 cpu to pv1000 connected via Rio, communicate (maybe a sample file)?

Problem been we have sucked the file out of the 5k cpu (Machine builder refuses to give us a copy of the software, so we have no comments, just the raw code and tags ect.) Downloaded the PV file, all ok looks as it should.

We want to change, add some buttons on the PV.

When i search both the files i can not find any reference to any tags within the two programs.

I have worked with pvs on slc systems and im use to the tag addressing such as N10:14 ect

One thing i have noticed about this system and how they have written it is they have created tags based on the slc system is this good or bad? different subject i know but?

Many thanks in advance

Ugh. This isn't a pretty situation even if you're very familiar with both systems.

RIO is the worst way to communicate with a PanelView Plus. I cannot fathom why someone would use it with a ControlLogix, when more functionality and easier configuration are available with DF1, ControlNet, EtherNet/IP, and DH+.

Anyhow. The tags the RSView ME application is referring to are part of the RSLinx Enterprise configuration for the 2711P-RN6 module. They're mostly going to be Block Transfer data, designated by blocks (B1, B2, B3, B4, etc).

In the ControlLogix, you will have to find the MSG instructions that they used for Block Transfer Read and Block Transfer Write
, and figure out which array tags are the sources and destinations for those. Then you can determine the linkage between the PV+ application and the RSLogix 5000 application.

exiled said:
Hi folks
Can any one shed some light on how a Logix 5555 cpu to pv1000 connected via Rio, communicate (maybe a sample file)?

Problem been we have sucked the file out of the 5k cpu (Machine builder refuses to give us a copy of the software, so we have no comments, just the raw code and tags ect.) Downloaded the PV file, all ok looks as it should.

We want to change, add some buttons on the PV.

When i search both the files i can not find any reference to any tags within the two programs.

I have worked with pvs on slc systems and im use to the tag addressing such as N10:14 ect

One thing i have noticed about this system and how they have written it is they have created tags based on the slc system is this good or bad? different subject i know but?

Many thanks in advance

it's not pretty, here are some screen shots as to what is involved

I/O tree

rs2.jpg

io_tree.jpg

Rungs for BTR/BTW

btr_btw.jpg

BTR expanded

msg_btr.jpg

msg_config_comm.jpg

Eddie, where does the Xiled say PV+?

I think Curly is on the correct path.
Who would have ever dreamed of making such an incredible mistake as to use RIO in a CTRLX system, with legacy PV's?

You definately have your work cut out for you.

Why not just change out the PV, for a controlnet or Ethernet unit, and re-program as you see fit?, re-mapping to integer files.

Thanks

Eddie, Curly
thanks for the info. very helpful. now have something to go at.
We were originally informed that it would be a DH+ setup.

we are pretty much held to ransom with this company and they dont share their programming skills ect
have a look at the same screenshots as "curlyandshemp" has posted do they shed any more light?

I/O
IO.jpg

message comms
msgcomm.jpg

more message details
msgcomm2.jpg

Apologies for the size of pics(not quite sussed out my photoshop program yet!)

Apologies for delay

Hi curlyandshemp

Apologies for the delay in getting back to you. My adsl connection has been down & and i've had a nightmare trying to convince somebody in a different country that it is their telephone network at fault! but hey thats another story.

Right back to my PV via RIO. I have added the file although i have taken out the company name from the screens (pm me if you want the original file)
Its a vertical form and fill bagging machine.

Many thanks in advance for your advice chaps.

Ok, Ill try this again

I have uploaded the Integer screen shot of the files that you need to look at,
Look also at your TAG database, in PV application. It spells it all out very clearly.

SNK where's your files/screen shots ect as i cant see anything. Apologies if im been a bit dim.

Thanks in advance

I have tried a few times, posting the pic in jpg form. It uploads ok, but it does not appear on the forum.
I have attached a zip file.

One more thing, check your ALIAS tags, in CRTLGX, they may be mapping all of the Integers, ect using the embedded "logic-Map SLC/PLC Messages" pulldown.

If you need more help, just ask.

Last edited: