New requirments for panels......

David_Emmerich

Lifetime Supporting Member
My boss just called me about some new NEC code requiements for panels going to be used in North Dakota...anybody have an idea what they are? :unsure:

We are getting ready to submit a bid on a large system for up there, so I could use all the 'input' you can give me!!!!

Thanking all of our fine members in advance....

David:beer:

David_Emmerich said:
My boss just called me about some new NEC code requiements for panels going to be used in North Dakota...anybody have an idea what they are? :unsure:

We are getting ready to submit a bid on a large system for up there, so I could use all the 'input' you can give me!!!!

Thanking all of our fine members in advance....

David:beer:

In general the NEC does not apply to what happens inside of an industrial control panel. The only place dedicated to control panels in the NEC is article 409. This article deals more with installing them rather than building them, although it does contain some specifics on labels. Usually if you build your panel to UL508A you should have no problem meeting any NEC requirements.

I have not heard of any new NEC requirements relating to panels. In addition to UL 508A, NFPA 79 Electrical Standard for Industrial Machinery includes a lot of guidelines for panel building.

In the 2008 NEC, Article 409 specifically references industrial control panel construction as well as labeling requirements and short circuit calculations.

From this booklet:
http://www.ndseb.com/Docs/Booklet2008.pdf

It appears that on 4/1/2008 North Dakota adopted the 2008 version of the NEC (a.k.a. NFPA 70). They had previously been using the 2005 version.

There is new stuff in the 2008 code regarding VFD's and Short Ciruit Current Ratings (SCCR) on panels as well as other a few others I forget. I think the SCCR is the biggie in my mind but you have to make your own judgement.

The 2008 NEC article 409 has very few changes to the 2005 edition. most of the changes relate to overall code changes in terminology associated with grounding.

The NEC only addresses a few items concerning construction of industrial control panels. It wants you to use the correct enclosure, properly support and locate bus bars, have adequate spacing and clearances, include grounding provisions, and provide a label which includes the SCCR.

In my opinion this is a useless code section for an OEM that builds to UL508A or an equivalent standard including NFPA79. I believe it is intended to apply to industrial control panels which are "built" in the field.

Thank you everyone,

I had been going thru the code and had seen the items that Jim mentioned,...I just wanted to make sure that I wasn't missing something.

Thanks for all the help, see you all here again soon...

David

:site: 🍻

Last edited: