IDEC OIT Allen Bradley PLC 5 floating point

ghriver

Well I am trying to get floating point data from a plc5 into an idec OIT. Ethernet communications. Interger (16bit) works fine but floating point gives communication error. The problem is my lack of understanding where I configure the device address in the idec software. when I enter float32 for the datatype the software wants to know upper and lower? Does this mean I have to retrieve the value before the decimal and after the decimal seperately?
Thx.
ss.jpg

I am not familiar with the Idec OIT, however serioudly doubt that it is refering to the value before and after the decimal because in an IEEE float that is not differentiated. The float always stores the number in binary using scientific notation, always with an implied 1 before the binary decimal. The first bit is the sign bit, the next 8 are the exponent, and the remaining 23 are the mantissa. There is a technote in the AB knowledge base explaining the float binary format or you can find it on wikipedia under IEEE 754 float, or search the forum for IEEE 754 float.

If I were to venture a guess it refers to the endianness of number, that is which word contians the high order bits and which word contains the low order bits. The PLC/5 uses big endian.

Upper/Lower might refer only to PLCs that require you to store your float in two consecutive integer words. Does the help file give you any clues?

Last edited: