plc5 and indramat

irondesk40

Have run across a machine that is used in one of our plants that we are using as a contractor that I am hoping someone can give me some advice on.

It has a plc5 plc that sends a signal to start from the plc to a indramat controller. This controller is controlling sometype of portional valve that not only controls how much hydraulic pressure is going to a hydraulic valve, but also which port is open to either raise or lower the mechanism that the hydraulic valve is controlling.
Depending upon a pot setting on the front of the controlling, the valve will open and close at a certain speed. There is a linkage that is mechanically linked to the hydraulic cylinder that slides through what appears to be linear transducer ( that was what the technician referred to it as).
Here is the problem, the old indramat has bit the dust, there is no documentation on the machine, no schematics etc., but what i have been able to determine is that the only signals that the plc sends to the indramat controller is start, and it recieves a up/down signal to tell the indramat controller which direction to send the hydraulic valve and how fast the cylinder goes up or down.
Does anyone have any good suggestion on a stand alone type controller that could be used to control the hydraulic cylinder and tell it to extend in or out and control the speed that it extends and retracts. Also, any good advice on a portional type valve for a hydraulic cylinder and the best way to sense how fast the cylinder may be moving.
Have not done any projects contolling hydraulic cylinders, but with the expertise of the folks that use this site, hoping someone could lead me in the right direction.
Will attempt to attach some pictures of the indramat controller and valve assembly.
Thanks

If this is a large mass with a small diameter cylinder then it is probably a "Position Dependant Braking" control. Bosch had one called the Stroke Unit which was used a lot on blow molding machine shuttles.

If that is the case, it can be replaced by a Rexroth HACD-DTC and a valve with onboard electronics.
http://www.boschrexroth.com/country...tics/products/vt-hacd_axis_controls/index.jsp

I haven't been in the industry long enough to identify the valve but you might want to take a picture a little further out and look for any identifying plates on the valves. Although there is a 50/50 chance that the plate will be facing in a direction where you can see it, Murphy's law usualy dictates that there is an 80% chance that it will be facing the machine and unreadable without taking off the valve.

You might trigger someone's memory if you can identify the machine manufacturer and model or at least what it makes or what process it performs.

The machine manufacturer was Zinser.
The indramat unit has a tag that says Indramat Hydronormat
Does anyone know where I may could find a manual or any documentation. Have searched the Rexroth web page.

ndzied1 said:
If this is a large mass with a small diameter cylinder then it is probably a "Position Dependant Braking" control. Bosch had one called the Stroke Unit which was used a lot on blow molding machine shuttles.

If that is the case, it can be replaced by a Rexroth HACD-DTC and a valve with onboard electronics.
http://www.boschrexroth.com/country_units/america/united_states/en/products/bri/industry_applications/plastics/products/vt-hacd_axis_controls/index.jsp

I haven't been in the industry long enough to identify the valve but you might want to take a picture a little further out and look for any identifying plates on the valves. Although there is a 50/50 chance that the plate will be facing in a direction where you can see it, Murphy's law usualy dictates that there is an 80% chance that it will be facing the machine and unreadable without taking off the valve.

You might trigger someone's memory if you can identify the machine manufacturer and model or at least what it makes or what process it performs.

not much hope - but a possible straw to grasp at ...

have you tried contacting Morrell Company in Indianappolis, IN? ...

I was searching for Indramat parts a few years ago, and their name kept coming up ... I seem to remember that they were an Indramat distributor ... 317-849-7007 is the phone number in my records ...

unfortunately they weren’t able to help me - because the parts I needed were just too old - but it wouldn’t hurt to give them a call ... maybe they have an “off the shelf” solution that would be helpful to you ...

good luck ...

thanks alot
at this point, any advice is great, will give them a call.

about to the point to take it off and replace it with something else, only problem is that it is a sub contractor doing work for us and there is some argument as to who should pay for what at this moment.