Integrating PLC-5 I/O with Logix 5000

Nick D

Hi guys

I'm new to this forum. I'm also fairly new to PLCs and my experience has been with the Logix 5000 platform.

In my workplace we have a mixture of platforms from 5s through to 5000s. We are looking to upgrade our 5 with a 5000 but would like to avoid replacing everything due to the extensive wiring.

I was wondering if there was a way to incorporate a Logix 5000 controller (preferrably ControlLogix) with the existing I/O of the PLC-5. Do I need, for example, interfacing cards or any particular module to achieve this?

Cheers

Yes - it is possible.

You will need to determine what communication network protocol you would like to use. We have used ControlNet and RIO for such connectivity between ControlLogix and 1771 IO.

Thanks gentlemen

The particular system I'm referring to is not time critical so it doesn't really need a deterministic schedule.

Can it be done with Ethernet?

Other experienced people I have spoken with regarding ControlNet have said that it is a pain in the rear and that it will soon be obsolete. Is there any agreement with that claim, or is it a case of 'to each their own'?

1771 does not have an ethernet adapter module. Now if you have a processor, you could use it as the adapter via ethernet. Not a very good solution in my opinion.

If you aleady have ASB modules, just use RIO. If you are putting in a new adapter, then ControlNet would be the way to go.

As far as ControlNet being obsolete soon ... I doubt it (but that is my opinion).

I think ControlNet is here for the long haul. AB's ControlLogix Redundant hot backup system is based on it. It is also a key player in their "Safety CLX" too.

I have had nothing but good experiences with it.

I don't find anything about ControlNet to be a pain. You have to use RSNetworx to commission it. Other than that it is as easy to use as Ethernet IP in ControlLogix.

RSL

As Oakley mentioned, if your PLC-5 system already has RIO (via blue hose) then you can just replace the PLC-5 cpu with another RIO adapter (ASB). Then add a 1756-DHRIO module to the CLX system and your CLX can now scan your RIO.

If you don't already have RIO then ControlNet is the way to go. ControlNet would be my first choice over RIO, but if you already have RIO and as you mentioned, speed is not an issue, the RIO will work just fine.

OG