protected plc and "backup" mmc with project

apetkov5

Hi all!

I sell s7 300 plc with program to my customer. Program is password protected.

Now, after few years, customer call me and asks me to give him a "backup" mmc with project. Customer will, in case of hardware problems, replace plc with new of same type and put "backup" mmc in it. Everything without programing computer.

I can't give him access to program (secured by password) because of protected know-how, but i must give him mmc.

Can this be done?
And how?

Please help :)

With best regards!

What I know about S7 300 plc's would fit on a postage stamp. and I ask as a reality check why do you need to keep a password on your work.

With 5 minutes reading on a google hit I am left saying it is possible and its also a selling feature of S7 300.
If you need to ask how to deal with a multimedia memory card it leaves me wondering what know how you could program that requires a password, after more than a one year warranty period.

If this sounds rude I am sorry, my intent is that you ask your self why
you need to protect what is now an old program.

An added gain to you can be if your programs are more open to your client then he will be more open to giving you more work.

Last edited:
Gil47 said:
What I know about S7 300 plc's would fit on a postage stamp. and I ask as a reality check why do you need to keep a password on your work.

With 5 minutes reading on a google hit I am left saying it is possible and its also a selling feature of S7 300.
If you need to ask how to deal with a multimedia memory card it leaves me wondering what know how you could program that requires a password, after more than a one year warranty period.

If this sounds rude I am sorry, my intent is that you ask your self why
you need to protect what is now an old program.

An added gain to you can be if your programs are more open to your client then he will be more open to giving you more work.

Ok gil, thank you very very much, you open my eyes.
If this sounds rude i am sorry, my intent is that you ask your self why you nead to involve in my reasons why to protect program...

Bye

To ask the guy's question, rather than ranting about the need or not for password protection:

In order to make the backup MMC card, you need an S7 MMC prommer, or a CPU exactly the same as the customers CPU. The MMC card will then include the password.

ok Jesper, thanks, you are the best!

but, i know that.... i can make pasword protected archive (zip) od project with simatic manager, and copy that zip to mmc (at exactly same HW).

But when my customer want to retrieve program (project) from mmc to cpu (after he phisicaly replace malefunctioned cpu) he must have programing computer and make "retrieve form..." and type password and open the project...

Ideal will be when he will just put (backup) mmc in (new) cpu and turn on controller, and program will still stay protected (for viewing)...

To store the project file on the MMC card is something completely different to storing the program on the MMC.
As you describe it, the customer wants to be able to plug the spare MMC card and then continue with as little intervention as possible. So they do not want to have the project file.

Just my tuppence worth but if the customer is that inexperienced with S7 that they would struggle to download a program into a new PLC then I would guess that you don't need to password protect your proggy.. it sounds like they wouldn't have the in-house knowledge to make changes anyways.?

:)

uptown47 said:
Just my tuppence worth but if the customer is that inexperienced with S7 that they would struggle to download a program into a new PLC then I would guess that you don't need to password protect your proggy.. it sounds like they wouldn't have the in-house knowledge to make changes anyways.?

:)

they do not have in-house knowledge, but there is another "house" who want that "technology of work". (the mean is in way how program solve problems during the known work operations) :)

You do realise that Know How Protect is not secure, if the 'other house' wanted to open your program it would be very east for them.

You would need to password the CPU to make it secure.

I sell s7 300 plc with program to my customer. Program is password protected.
What is the name of the program? I want to make sure that I never buy this one.