.mer instead of .apa with rsview studio

diat150

Lifetime Supporting Member
usually I send out panelview files as .apa after using the application manager to backup the project.

is it possible to just send the guy the .mer file and have him use the transfer utility to drop it on the panelview? the reason i ask is because the guy is having problems with his application manager software and cant restore the .apa file. Ive never done it that way and dont have a panelview with me to try this out.

Yes, you can do that. It would be very difficult for him to modify any screens later, but if that is not an issue it will work fine.

FactoryTalk View Studio ME (RSView 5) can create an .mer which is now editable.

Can the transfer utility be acquired separately from the main program? So people could just have the transfer utility on a PC?

jpconard said:
FactoryTalk View Studio ME (RSView 5) can create an .mer which is now editable.
Best thing that ever happened to this software.

jpconard said:
Can the transfer utility be acquired separately from the main program? So people could just have the transfer utility on a PC?
No utility or PC needed, only a compact flash card. The trick is, you have to have the directory structure on the flash card. The PV looks for the MER in a specific directory (it's like 3 directories deep).

The cool thing is, if you plug in a flash card and navigate through the PV+ and try and copy a file from the card, if the directories are not present on the card, they will be created by the PV. No need to memorized the folder names.

You can sometimes use a USB drive flash drive, but they are not always handled well. Compact Flash always works.

Last edited:
dmroeder said:
No utility or PC needed, only a compact flash card. The trick is, you have to have the directory structure on the flash card. The PV looks for the MER in a specific directory (it's like 3 directories deep).

That's how I do it, I mail flash cards to customers with changes and they load them on their PV+. Easy and saves me a day away from the office.