AB Software

sopenco

My company's been programming screens with RSView Studio 3.0 and PLC's with RSLogix 500. Now, we're about to change over to bigger / better (still AB) screens and processors than what we've used in the past, but we're not decided on a model yet. Furthermore, I'm now tasked with purchasing updated software.

My question: what should I get? Will the most recent version of RSLogix 5000 and RSView Studio enable us to develop for any / all (newer) AB PLC's and Panels while still being able to service / update our older projects, or are we trying to put the carriage before the horse?

Thank you in advance for the advice.

RSLOGIX 5000 is for Contrologix/compactlogix
RSLOGIX 500 is for Slc 500/micrologix
RSLOGIX 5 is for PLC 5's
so it all depends on what type of plc's you are using.
if you have the most up to date versions, then yes they will be able program and modify older plc's and there projects

Thank you again - that's the info I was having such a hard time finding at ab.com. As for the Screens, are there also different lines of software, or does one Studio fit all so to speak?

FT Studio 5.0 can edit and generate runtime files for Machine Edition version 3.x through 5.x, and can edit Site Edition 5.x only.
For older Panelviews (not the Plus series) you still need Panelbuilder.

Keep in mind you can't have multiple versions of RSView installed. Once you upgrade a project to v5, any archives you make (apa files) will be in version 5's format, no going back. If your customers need/want to be able to edit their HMIs, they may require version 3. You can, however, make version 3 to 5 runtime files, so if you need to just update a panel yourself, there should be no problem.