Mitsubishi GURUs help requested

mrtweaver

I am by no means new to programing PLC's, freq drives and such. But I am fairly new to the Mitsubishi Q series PLC. I am currently working on a very truncated time table. MGMT has choosen to shorten the time till project is to be up and running. So I am asking that all whom are familiar with the Mitsubishi Line please respond.

1. We have an older version of GX Developer. We were able to get online with the PLC and download the program. However it thru an error about the parameter file being created by a newer version and therefore could not be read by the version we had. Is this really something that happens? Or is the software just throwing some archaic error?

2. On the Q series, has anyone here attached one to an OPC server? (KepServer, Software Toolbox, etc..) If yes which server did you use and how did you have it connected?

3. In the Network Config of the GX dev. there is two radio buttons, one says ASCII code and the other say Binary code. I know the general concepts behind both but am unsure which would be a better option. Looking for feedback on how other attached and configured the system.

4. Do you know how many concurrent connections can be attached to a Q series? I know some of the PLC's we use can have upto 4 concurrent connections, does this also hold true for the Mitsubishi? Are these configured in the Network settings?

5. On a GOT1000 HMI screen. Are these mainly configured by and large for Mitsubishi products only? Or do they have other drivers that allow them to be used for other PLC platforms?

6. If they have other drivers do you happen to know what is supported?

Thanks and have a great day.

Firstly you do not mention the communications you intend to use 232 ethernet, what cards etc.
Kepware works well on 232 & ethernet, you set up a UDP (do not use TCP with Kepware)on ethernet you only need 1 block, I have had 4 connections via scada, pics simulator & programmer.
I suspect that the old version of developer will struggle with the Q configuration as the Q versions have changed since first introduced
We have a system containing 8 q plc's, networked using NETH, the master plc has ethernet for the scada's, recipe download from SQL server, 3 HMI's via prog port (232) & 232/422 cards + 1 connection to a modem, by the way you can read & write to areas in the other plc's from kepware, via Ethernet to pass through the NETH.

Origionally I was going to use RS232. I had been in contact with KepWare and was led to beleive that the serial port on the front of the PLC would be able to be used to communicate with a product such as KepServer. However that was later proved to be wrong. From looking at the system and talking with the OEM there is an Ethernet module on the PLC rack. It is in location 7 with reference to the PLC module. The OEM uses this port to communicate with the GOT HMI screen.

Now you say to use UDP and NOT TCP. Is there a reasoning why you say UDP is the way to go on the Q series?

And if you review my origionally posting, do you happen to know answers to any of the questions? If you need further information please let me know and I will do my best to provide it.

Thanks and have a great day.

parky said:
Firstly you do not mention the communications you intend to use 232 ethernet, what cards etc.
Kepware works well on 232 & ethernet, you set up a UDP (do not use TCP with Kepware)on ethernet you only need 1 block, I have had 4 connections via scada, pics simulator & programmer.
I suspect that the old version of developer will struggle with the Q configuration as the Q versions have changed since first introduced
We have a system containing 8 q plc's, networked using NETH, the master plc has ethernet for the scada's, recipe download from SQL server, 3 HMI's via prog port (232) & 232/422 cards + 1 connection to a modem, by the way you can read & write to areas in the other plc's from kepware, via Ethernet to pass through the NETH.

Well, just recently replaced a scada system that used mitsubishi direct driver + mx component for recipe download with IFIX & Kepserver, I tried TCP & it did not work, when I contacted kepware they said that there is something funny about their TCP & UDP is the way to go, funny thing is using UDP on the kepserver worked without configuring UDP on the ethernet card QJ71-E100, the only blocks configured were melsec ones as existing, there did not seem to be any difference even after configuring a UDP block but I left it in.
I have not tried using the 232 programming port with kepware, it's something I must try, it could be that kepware only have the protocol for the communications cards (computer link).
Beijer also do an OPC server not tried it but I bet that one will work on the prog. port, as they supply the E series HMI's to mitsubishi & I have used their small scada package called Cezar, it's easy to use & lo cost that comes with a load of drivers.

1. maybe time to buy new one.

2. we used MX Components and wrote our own code

3. binary messages are shorter (you can transfer more data faster) but actual choice may be limited by type of hardware connected to it

4. how many comm. ports and what type? RS232 - one per port, sometimes one per card (most cards have two ports but there are some restrictions, check manuals). Ethernet, not sure but if I recall correctly it was 8 for old cards (AnAS etc.) should be 16 or more on new (so far never needed more than 3-4).

5. other than...RS232 and Ethernet? Did you check Mitsubishi Product Selection Guide or invite sales rep recently?