slc500 1747 L40A

faehigkeit1

Hello All,
I have an old slc500 1747a plc that I need to upload a copy of the program. I have a 1747pic device. Will this 1747pic work? And is there any danger of faulting out the processor? I don't have a back up copy of the program.
Thanks
Dean

the Pic will only work if you have a Comm port
if you don't have one then you need USB converter 1747-uic as standard ones will not work At least I beleive the port on the SLC 500 is a rs 485

Dean,

Yes, it is possible to cause a fault of the SLC while tryhing to upload the program from the SLC to your computer. If this is a running machine, I would at least wait until the process is in shut-down mode. If it is not, but simply a program on a SLC that you want to copy, then it is less dangerous. At worst, the SLC could fault, but the program should still be in it, unless you accidentlly download another program on top of it. Just make sure that you always click "Upload" instead of "Download".

If it is a SLC sitting on a shelf for a long time, the program may be lost anyway, if the battery is dead.

When doing an Upload without a previous copy of the program, you do not get any of the documentation (that does not reside inside a SLC 500), but only the bare-bone rung logic. You will have to re-create the symbols and comments yourself. That means you will have to be able to figure out how the program works, otherwise it will not be much use to you. An old print-out always helps, and if that is not available, an old connection drawing is next best, third best is the machine itself, with I/O wires labeled, pushbuttons and switches identified.

Last edited:
Thanks Lancie1
I have a paper copy of the program dated 1993 but I am not sure if it is up to date. One time many moons ago I plugged in a 1774 pic device and the processor faulted out. I don't know why. I want to back up this program but am very nervous about using this old pic device. Also, I am the "new guy" at this company and I don't want to look like the big dummy.
I might have to just bight the bullet and go for it...hope I can upload this thing without any catastrophies
thanks for your help
dean