DeviceNET comm to ACTECH SMV Drive

bro08170

I am trying to run ACTech SMV(DeviceNET) drives with a SLC-505 processor and DeviceNET scanner. The DeviceNET scanner is working fine and I have corrected all error codes, and I have programmed all of the drives with unique node addresses and appropriate baud rates. I have also set the drive parameters so that TB-13A is set up for DeviceNET enable (P121 set to 9). I have alse enabled the deviceNET scanner so it is NOT in idle mode, but I cannot communicate with the drives- no indication on the drive display (like 0.0 Hz for no signal). I am writing in the PLC logic to the appropriate output addresses on the scanner, and I have confirmed the outputs. Is there something I am missing on the PLC programning side? My only other guess is that it is a control wiring issue?

If you can post the *.DNT file from RSNetworx for DeviceNet (with the 1747-SDN and AC-Tech configurations uploaded, along with the SLC-5/05 program, users unfamiliar with AC-Tech but familiar with DeviceNet might be able to take a look at your configuration and programming.

Expand on what you mean about "verifying the outputs". Are there any other DeviceNet slaves on this network that are working correctly ?

bro08170 said:
I am trying to run ACTech SMV(DeviceNET) drives with a SLC-505 processor and DeviceNET scanner. The DeviceNET scanner is working fine and I have corrected all error codes, and I have programmed all of the drives with unique node addresses and appropriate baud rates. I have also set the drive parameters so that TB-13A is set up for DeviceNET enable (P121 set to 9). I have alse enabled the deviceNET scanner so it is NOT in idle mode, but I cannot communicate with the drives- no indication on the drive display (like 0.0 Hz for no signal). I am writing in the PLC logic to the appropriate output addresses on the scanner, and I have confirmed the outputs. Is there something I am missing on the PLC programning side? My only other guess is that it is a control wiring issue?
I haven't used the SMVs but SVs and parameters are similar.
P121=9 Netowrk Enable.
Have you set up the Accel/Decel and the rest of the parameters to the actual drive?
P100=3 is used as well to set the start source of the drive to network command only.
P101=6 is used to set the reference source to netowrk value.
P400=4 will set the network to DeviceNet.

Any of the above is not set correctly will definetely create issues with your set up.
By the way, I found the Lenze/ACTechs to be bulletproof so far.

DeviceNET & RSLogix file

I have attached the *.DNT file and my RSLogix500 program. The main program has the DeviceNET enable bit on rung 17. I have not been able to run any of these drives through the network. Look at the subroutine #9 - that is the drive I have been trying to get online. The subroutine is setup like a PID routine, but I omitted the actual PID command because I don't need that degree of control on this (any several other) pieces of equipment.
In a nutshell, I have enabled the d-NET scanner run bit in the main program, and I using the MOV command at the end of the subroutine to control the drive. Is there something I missed? (This is my first adventure with DeviceNET)
By verifying outputs, I mean that I can see the value change in RSLogix when the program is running- which leads me to believe that this may be a hardware programming or control wiring issue.
bkottars- I do have programmed on the drive the parameters you mentioned, so I don't think its a parameter issue on the drive itself.

Last edited:
Figured this one out myself- I needed to change the right bits on the "Output Assembly Word" in RSLogix to set the run forward bit and network enable and network speed ref bits. This enables the SMV network control and gives it a "run" command. You have to set the run bit every time after cycling power, though.