Electricians license?

rocket1010

Off topic I know...

I am currently persuing an electrical license; actually starting from scratch,(to enhance PLC/technician background; hey, if they're paying for it..).

My question is, what license is more valuable/employable, etc. in Ontario; 309a (construction/maintenance) or 442a (industrial)?

Any insight before I get signed would be very beneficial.

Thanks all!

with a 309a license, you can work construction as well as in a plant doing maintenance. With an industrial license, you are not allowed to work on construction sites. With Canada (and the US) losing so many manufacturing jobs, I would suggest getting the 309a

Derek

I would encourage you to get both your 309A and 442. You can take them both at the same time. You must go to separate night school for both.
Our company has been training apprentices this way for many years. You must serve a 9000 Hr apprenticeship for each ticket and you would get credited hours for some schooling.This way you can work both industrial and construction.

I would go back to school and get a degree in something else. I been chasing these sparks 40 years this ole body is about wore out and with pices going up I reckon I got to keep pluggin along. :(

If you can get the 309a (construction/maintenance) there is no need for a 442a (industrial). There is nothing in the industrial electrician program that a Construction maintenance Electrician can't do. However ther is a lot the industrial electricians are not allowed to do.

Not sure if they still do it but i have a 309D..Electitian, Construction and maintinance, Electronic controls..It was an optional 8 week full time course after we completed advanced..It was there i came across my first PLC but 90% of the course was instumentation and Electronics..

In my area if you are an industrial electritian you go through the same course as a the cons/maint guys..only at the end as Allan said you dont have as many options...