1756-DNB Series?

junior

I received a product notice from Rockwell that the 1756-DNB series C interface module needs to be upgraded to firmware 10.005. We have about 50 of these modules in our plant so I need to investigate which ones might need upgrading. The problem I have is that just looking at the module in the rack, I can't tell what series it is, and I can't pull it out because that would stop the production. Is there a way to check the series of the module and the firmware revision while connecting to the module through software? (ie, rsnetworks for device net, rslinx, etc...)

TIA
Jr.

You can browse the chassis with RSLinx to determine the firmware version of any ControlLogix module, but 1756-DNB Series C is especially easy to identify by sight.

The module has the DeviceNet plug located on the front instead of recessed behind a the door, and there's a prominent USB jack on the front of the module.

The Series C module has only been available for 4 or 5 months max, so it's unlikely you have many of them.

Thanks Eddie.
I have tried using RSLinx, but when I find the 1756-dnb module, I just see that it's a 1756-dnb, but I can't get any more detailed information about it. Is there a sperate tab or menu item I need to go into?

JR.

Junior.
In Linx you should be able to expand the DeviceNet network below the DNB. If you can't then it is likely that you do not have the right EDS file for the card installed. You should be able to download this from the Rockwell web site. For some reason Linx now seems to be able to recognise CLX comm's cards and display the correct icon even if the EDS file is not up to date. I have seen this with ENBT cards recently where I would previously have expected the yellow question mark.
Andybr

sorta-related:

There is a feature added in RSLinx 2.51 and later, and supported by 1756-ENBT v4, 1756-EN2T, 1756-CN2, 1756-DNB/C modules for handling EDS files.

The modules have the EDS file embedded in them, in GZIP compressed format. You can right-click on an unregistered module in RSLinx and select "upload EDS".

The RSLinx Hardware Installation Tool pops up, registers the EDS with Windows, and shuts down.

Ta-daa ! The module is browsable and configurable.

I discovered this feature incidentally while walking a customer through a 1756-ENBT v4 installation. It is in the release notes, but there wasn't much fanfare. The hardware list above is from memory and not official or comprehensive; essentially it's the CIP communication modules that correspond with the release of RSLinx 2.51 and later.

I found a Knowledgebase Answer ID # 50067 that describes this feature.

Ken Roach said:
sorta-related:
There is a feature added in RSLinx 2.51 and later, and supported by 1756-ENBT v4, 1756-EN2T, 1756-CN2, 1756-DNB/C modules for handling EDS files.

Many servo drives also support this, I've heard.

Thanks for the great information guys! I got it to work, but I can't see what series the modules are. Phisically looking at them, we don't have any series C modules. So what I'm wondering, is there a way to see the series of the modules through the online software? Right now, I can just see the firmware revision number, but not what series the modules are.

Jr.

Without getting into the sometimes-confusing world of what RA considers a "Series" change, the basic scoop for the 1756-DNB is that Series C will be firmware 10.xx or higher, and Series A or B will be Firmware 7.xx or lower.

The Series letter is not part of the CIP Identity Object, but the Firmware Major Revision is.

Ken Roach said:
Without getting into the sometimes-confusing world of what RA considers a "Series" change, the basic scoop for the 1756-DNB is that Series C will be firmware 10.xx or higher, and Series A or B will be Firmware 7.xx or lower.

The Series letter is not part of the CIP Identity Object, but the Firmware Major Revision is.

I guess what I'm wondering is how one can distinguish between Series A & B without removing the module from the rack?

I would be suprised if when you right click on the module.
It's properties should be available to you, and in the properties I would expect to find the firmware version number.

I don't have anything in front of me that I can check with so I am running from memory.

I guess what I'm wondering is how one can distinguish between Series A & B without removing the module from the rack?
Why do you need to know series? A and B are almost identical modules with minor hardware change that has no performance difference. Both can run same FW 6.xx or 7.xx. Ser C is a different module with high perfomance engine and can be identified by USB port on the front of the module

Contr_Conn said:
Why do you need to know series? A and B are almost identical modules with minor hardware change that has no performance difference. Both can run same FW 6.xx or 7.xx. Ser C is a different module with high perfomance engine and can be identified by USB port on the front of the module

So I know what firmare to download for them. Even thought we don't have series C that the buletin came out, my boss now wants to update the firmware in all the modules we have, so I need to make a list of what modules series A or B we have and at what revision the firmware is. Then I'll know what firmware to download and update in the modules during maintenance week. Until then the plant is running 24/7 so I can't pull them out of the rack. I know I could wait till maintenance week to pull the modules out of the rack, but I need the information now to put together a schedule for the boss.

Jr.

If modules ser A or B are working without any problems then leave them along, you don't have to update firmware
And if your boss forces you to do it, then use the latest 7.x in both ser A and B.