Enclosure filtration

tacm

I have recently started a new job in the machining industry. We have 40+ cnc machine centers and make parts for the aerospace industry. I am looking for advice, tips, or links to companys that make generic cabinet filtration systems for elctrical cabinets. Each cabinet is different so all ideas are welcome. There is a LOT of coolant mist in the air here and room filtration is not an option. I just dont want to fabricate something custom for each machine, and i dont want to velcro filter material to air openings as my boss sugested. Thanx in advance, Steve

Just get a simple cage to hold filters against the air intakes and vents. I don't know the size of the machines you are talking about, we have many CNC machines in our shop and they have metal pockets to hold 14x14 or 12x12 filters, and we just replace them as needed.

You'll probably have to make a custom sized holder, using something as simple as a 1 inch piece of angled steel or alluminum, based on what you can use for each machine. Just try to use the least number of different sizes as possible.

I've used these several times.
http://www.norenproducts.com/Compact_Cabinet/

The nice thing is there is no air excahnge between the can interior and exterior - helps keep the inside of the can cleaner, which is probably better for you situation than a simple fan/filter.

McLean also makes a line of cabinet coolers.
http://mcleanparts.net/ For the ultimate in cabinet coolers consider using a small cabinet A/C unit - more money but sometimes it's what you need. We had to put one on a box that ended up sitting in the sun in Brazil - the only drawback was that it didn't take long for the operators to figure out that they had a place to keep their drinks and lunches cool.

They are virtually maintenance free - no moving parts other than the fan, and they work pretty well withing the rated range. IMO, a good choice when airborn contamination is a problem.

Vortex coolers are a good choice when you need to cool a smallish cabinet and at the same keep a slight positive pressure. Many of the machines in the bit casting plant where large graphite molds are machned use vortex cooling. But if you don't need the positive pressure then there are lots of less expensive ways to cool. The Vortex tube is cheap up front, but compressed air energy is by far the most expensive energy source in a plant by several times.

Rittal has some nice looking cabinet cooling equipment, from louvered fan/filters to air/air heat exchangers to AC units. It can be fitted onto any brand of enclosure where there is space for the cutouts.

Last edited:
tacm said:
I have recently started a new job in the machining industry. We have 40+ cnc machine centers and make parts for the aerospace industry. I am looking for advice, tips, or links to companys that make generic cabinet filtration systems for elctrical cabinets. Each cabinet is different so all ideas are welcome. There is a LOT of coolant mist in the air here and room filtration is not an option. I just dont want to fabricate something custom for each machine, and i dont want to velcro filter material to air openings as my boss sugested. Thanx in advance, Steve

Been around the Horn on this several times. I think you need to step back and think a little more about this and that goes
DOUBLE for your boss.
1. You have mist in air - standard in machine shops
2. You need to cool the control cabinets
3. You need to keep the metal chips out of the cabinets.
4. You need to keep coolant out of cabinets.

Now then
IF all you do is put filters on each cabinet you have NOW made 40 mist filters and will be mopping coolant out of each cabinet.

I would think a single method / machine of removing mist smoke etc would be much more preferable since it will be better for the machines and for the people who are not really designed to breathe coolant mist and cutting smoke. This is in addition to "chip / dust filters" on machines.

I think an electrostatic precipitator would be a good start with those aluminum restaurant type hood filter to catch the coolant mist.

If you machines are producing a fine dust then do NOT waste your time with those scotch brite type filters. They are not fine enough and will not filter out the particles. Now you got mist and dust in your electrical cabinets.

Use a blower and a filter on its suction to pump air into the cabinet so that they are "pressurized" which in theory should ensure no contaminants sneak thru the conduit fitting knockouts (especially those that are not filled) and thru the so called door seals.

I would think automotive air filters would be ideal for this low pressure drop, high contaminant loading ability, should have good resistance to degradation from coolant.

Management argument is that filters cost money, they load up (they are supposed to), costs money to change blah blah blah.
Well on the other side it takes time to clean cabinets, and wait until they blow a cabinet up -- then you can hear them bewailing and sweating the wrath of the Almighty Production God and wringing their hands.

Dan Bentler

Mist is always going to be in a machine shop unless someone spends an awful lot of money.

You cannot "filter" mist, you will simply condense the moisture before admitting it to the cabinet.
Google cabinet coolers, there are several out there that use compressed air to cool and slightly pressurize the enclosure. They work well and are not expensive.

gas said:
Mist is always going to be in a machine shop unless someone spends an awful lot of money.

You cannot "filter" mist, you will simply condense the moisture before admitting it to the cabinet.
Google cabinet coolers, there are several out there that use compressed air to cool and slightly pressurize the enclosure. They work well and are not expensive.

Mist is a mix of water and vapor ie unsaturated steam, solvent sprayers, compressed air with a heavy water content etc etc. You can separate the liquid from the vapor. Maybe I should have said separate.

Dan Bentler