Siemens S5 to S7, making the jump :)

geniusintraining

Lifetime Supporting Member + Moderator
So as you may know sometimes I am not the 'genius' that I once claimed to be... I know it may be a shock to some of you but....

I am starting to feel really stupid and I am avoiding calling tech support

I have just purchased Step7 Pro 5.4, it has a nice little utility that converts S5 program to S7... great just what I need :)

I opened the software imported my Step5 program and it looked like it did some conversions, came up with several errors (well many), created a new program (.awl) and voila! ....NOT!

But now when I search for it in Step7 I can not see it... any ideas of what I am doing wrong? Could it have something to do with the errors?

Last edited:
Source Folder

look in your source file in Simatic Manager above the blocks folder - or you may have to import the .awl file into your source file and then compile it...

There is S5 to S7 converter manual available from siemens. It should help you get started. Its installed automatically in Program menu > Simatic> Documentation > ENglish menu when you install Step7.

geniusintraining said:
So as you may know sometimes I am not the 'genius' that I once claimed to be... I know it may be a shock to some of you but....

I am starting to feel really stupid and I am avoiding calling tech support

I have just purchased Step7 Pro 5.4, it has a nice little utility that converts S5 program to S7... great just what I need :)

I opened the software imported my Step5 program and it looked like it did some conversions, came up with several errors (well many), created a new program (.awl) and voila! ....NOT!

But now when I search for it in Step7 I can not see it... any ideas of what I am doing wrong? Could it have something to do with the errors?

What it does is create a source file. The location of the source file is identical to the location of the S5-program used to create the source file.
This converter is a stand alone application, and thus the converted program will not magically appear in Simatic Manager.

To view this source you can either:
-Create a new S7 station using the HWConfig
-Add a S7-progam to the project.

Either way you will have a S7-Program folder, within a Sources, Blocks, Symbols folders/files
Open up the Sources folder > right click in empty window > Insert new object > External source > Browse for your newly created .awl file.

A word of caution. After the inital Compile, be very very very carefull with that option. As it will compile the source into Blocks in the Blocks folder and WILL overwrite your current Blocks without a single warning.

Use the Check Consistancy for any errors in the code. You will have ALOT of warnings, but these mainly point to unsure use of DB's.......

Keep a close eye on the errors that are thrown up! you'll need to resolve all these before you can compile your new source code.

The convertor works OK for ladder logic elements but it will struggle with some s5 instructions that do no not directly translate such as: DO, LIR, TIR. I'm sure that there are others but I can't remember them.

Once you locate these in your source code, you may find it useful to make a note of the program location, comment them out, compile the code and then fix the errors in LAD / STL.

Nick

Thanks guys....

I have 63 errors and 50 warnings... so I have some work to do thanks for the heads up Nick

And who would of ever thought of a manual :D thanks.. that will be a big help

GIT,

if you know the functionality of the machine, then it might very well be a better strategy to start from scratch with a completely new S7 program.

And while you are at it, maybe it could be a good idea to take a look at other old stuff that can be exchanged for something more modern, now that you have to exchange an old S5 PLC anyway. Maybe pushbuttons and lamps can be exchanged for an operator panel. Maybe a central PLC rack can be exchanged for distributed i/o.

I have been in this situation a few times, and may have a few good tips if you are interested.

JesperMP said:
I have been in this situation a few times, and may have a few good tips if you are interested.

YES :D

The reason this came up was the S5 stop communicating to the interface, so I deleted it (the interface) from the S5 program installed push buttons to take place of the screen, it works good but the operators have no feed back for errors, I thought of for now installing lights that would give them the flag I.D. that have been generated...or just keep the guessing game

I have a S7 300 being quoted and 2 small color screens, the only issue we are having is the old S5 had a dual channel encoder card, they can not offer a replacement in the S7, I am also going with ProfiBus to keep the cost down, there is also a 'kit' that I am getting with the touch screens so I don't have to buy the software, they are only 6" sceens... I don't have WinCC

Any advice you (or anyone) can offer would be a very big help

Thank you

First, I would like to know a bit more about your project.
What kind of PLC type is to be exchanged ?
How many i/o ?
Any specialty modules ?
What kind of machine or proces is it ?

No Encoders?

Your not looking at an S7 200 are you?

Siemens do a range of encoder cards in the 300 range, check out the FM350-1 for example, or take a look at the new 314C - ptp (6ES7314-6BG03-0AB0) this has 4 built in counters and may do all you need?

Things to wary of with the small Siemens touch panels: 1) you can't run them in simulation mode as the don't run on WinCE operating systems. 2) You'll be limited to 50 tags on one page but you have no way of telling how many you've used until you've used too many. Don't be too put off, they do work very well.

Nick

More info...

The S5
rack 1
CPU 942 6ES5 942-7UB11
LAUER PCS810 <---- small text interface, Bedienfeld
IP 240 6ES5 465-7LA13 <---- Drehgeber, this is a conversion issue
Analog 6ES5 465-7LA13 <---- I don't need anymore
Input 6ES5 420-7LA11
Input 6ES5 420-7LA11
Input 6ES5 420-7LA11
Input 6ES5 420-7LA11
IM 306

rack2
Input 6ES5 420-7LA11
Output 6ES5 441-7A11
Output 6ES5 441-7A11
Output 6ES5 441-7A11
Output 6ES5 441-7A11
Output 6ES5 441-7A11
IM 306

The machine is a beveller, has 4 cutting heads, two pick and places and one spinner??

Takes a laminate from a stack, using discrete I/O to a Festo pick and place, sets the laminate on a conveyer that feeds it into the dual cutting heads, moves to the next section that rotates it 90 deg, moves it to the second set of cutting heads, through a set of vacuum brushes, to the second pick and place to restack.

I should get my quote back from the Siemens rep today or Monday, I will show it to you guys to see if you think its a good match.

I don't need the analog card, it was a measuring system that never worked anyway so to save money I am dropping it from the system.

The IP 240 was the card that they are having a hard time with, its a dual encoder card with a few other connections, I have not dug very deep yet into this, but will.

Thanks
Mark

The IP240 card is probably used for some sort of positioning application. You might want to considder re-engineering this part of the application. From memory there were special blocks for communicating with the IP240 card to set up its' parameters.

Nick

geniusintraining said:
The IP 240 was the card that they are having a hard time with, its a dual encoder card with a few other connections, I have not dug very deep yet into this, but will.

What about the FM351 card ? Dual encoder, not sure about the rest though!