No comm with Plc but o.k. with PV300

Hello,
I am not an Allen-Bradley guy, been with Mitsi for years. I've ran into a situation whereas I've a SLC5/03 and a PV300 that I can only see the PV300... I just upgraded the RsLogix from ver 7 to 8.00. I could see both nodes but I would get "file corrupt" when trying to upload the PLC. Now I can see the PV300 but not the PLC and on the PV300 I get a 613 error (node error)on the PV300 which goes away when I unplug the serial programming cable... The only thing that's changed is that I updated RsLogix but and not updated RsLinx for it is huge and our bandwidth is terrible to say the least, but I'm not sure as to what is happening or if that is pertinent.. Any help would be welcomed...

Last edited:
Mitchell
What exactly are you trying to do? RSlinx is the comm software for the devices. Logix is for the 503 You need PanelBuilder for the PV300. What do you mean when you say you can see them.

What you are describing sounds like a duplicate node problem on the DH485 communication network.

Every device should have a unique Node Number on the DH485 network. The most common numbering for small systems is to make the SLC Node 1, and the PanelView Node 2.

When you attach a computer running RSLinx, it needs a node number as well. If you accidentally set it the same as the SLC-5/03, then you won't be able to browse the SLC and your computer will probably interfere with the PanelView's ability to communicate with the SLC as well.

So check the RSLinx configuration and make sure that you are not using Node 1 (or whatever the SLC is set for).

This is just a guess; you would have to describe your actual network wiring (start with the PanelView 300 part number) and your RSLinx hardware and driver configuration for me to speculate further.

well yes it sounds like either you are connection directly to the PVP and therefore dont really have a connection to the SLC becuase the ports on the serial side dont run through each other. Or you have a node issue.

First things first. What kind of cable are you using between the 2. Even a discription of what the ends look like are good enough at this point. Also you might want to try to connect directly to the PLC to see if you see it then. Another option is to open up the file for the SLC and click on the commucation tab on the left and tell us what each port is set for. This will help out a ton.

Hello and thanx for the response,
What I ran into was this. I connected via PIC and was "at first" only seeing this message, File corrupt. We updated our software to Rslogix 8.0 and I could then see the PV300 but nothing else. I have since downloaded the Rslinx 2.53 Classic ver. and everything is in tune. (That was as of last night and connecting today.) Thanks for the comeback but I'm back on track and If my illustrious company would have kept our software up to date I would have been less bothersome.. Thanx again..
Mitchell...

No bother at all. Your company must be run by the same folks who run mine. When it comes to any shop floor software, I do not allow the eggheads (IT) to control it. I have the software registered in my name. After all who does the actual work IT or Engineering?

Ah Yes sammie, But at my place the I.T. dept controlls the desktop and laptop. And the darn ethernet. But the software is in my name and when i'm allow I do the programming.