S7 dual Language Option

BillyB

Hi,
We recently recieved an S7 (S7400 plc's) system to our site but the vendor was german and all the variables are named in german. The comments on the top of all the files are nicely written in english but the variables are all non comprehensible. We are about to order anopther system (identical) from the vendor and I was wondering if it was possible to be able to switch between languages ie to Alias the variables.
I am aware that the Simatic Manager can switch languages but this is not of any interest. I want to be able to look at meaningful variable names when trying to debug.

Obviously I am aware that I could ask for it to arrive in english but thats seems to not be an option

Thanks

I have to disappoint you.
It is not possible to configure symbols so they have "dual language".

However, if they can make comments in english then they can also switch symbols to english.
The symbols may actually be easier to change than the comments.
If FBs and UDTs are used, then changing the declaration of the FBs and UDTs will change all the DB instances of those FBs and UDTs.

NOTICE:
When changing the symbols in an existing project, then select adress priority = absolute !
When finished you can switch back to adress priority = symbolic.

If it is documentation , you could post an add at the local college for a german speaking student to proof read and translate your printouts or docs for an hour or two

Or meet you on site and tell you what it says at certain parts and translate whilst you make notes

Wait a minute- Siemens supports some pretty cool multi-language functionality. Basically, you can have multiple libraries of block comments, line comments, ect, etc. Go to Options>Manage Multi Lingual Texts> Export to see the file format. I have worked on several projects where swapping languages is a breeze.

S7Guy said:
Wait a minute- Siemens supports some pretty cool multi-language functionality. Basically, you can have multiple libraries of block comments, line comments, ect, etc. Go to Options>Manage Multi Lingual Texts> Export to see the file format. I have worked on several projects where swapping languages is a breeze.
Yes, but does it work on symbols too ?
I think it is only for comments.

Yep, you're right. It does everything except for symbols. That's probably why their symbol table contains the most mundane descriptions possible: I0.0 = "I 0.0". :)

But it's still pretty valuable to have dual language options for network comments, udt comments, block comments, etc. For the symbols, someone could have a seperate symbol file that they could drop in the project manually. It wouldn't have an effect on the project at all unless Symbolic Priority was selected.