PLC for begginers

Xristos

I was wondering if anybody can suggest how a beginer can learn PLCs and I am talking about total cluelesness. I purchased the books and although I understand the concept, when it comes to interpreting ladders total chaos. If you can suggest any books that start from scratch would be appreciated.
The web site is great.
Thank you,
Christos

Get small PLC with cable and sofware and play with it.
I do not recomend on simulator at that point.
In this way you can get some feeling (sense)what is PLC.
The book give information,Its hard to understand the ability of PLC from book if you are not in the isdustry.

Maybe you need kind of course to learn from expert.
Or to join to someone who work with PLCs and get some information.
If you chose to buy PLC take the AD DL05 .Not the best in town but very cheap and the most important ,the documentation is plain English.
and free support.
Thay also have free web sminar omline and recorded about their PLCs.

Good luck

Hi Chris.
If you are willing to spend a few bucks I'd suggest getting an XLe from Horner.
For about $300.00 you get a unit and the cable.
http://www.heapg.com/
Use it at your leasure and follow some of the examples on their web site.
The XLe comes with a built in display so you can also use it as an HMI of sorts or a message display to check on your logic.
The software is free and upgradable to newer versions for free.
Keep in mind that NOT all PLCs will look and feel the same.
But this will be a good one to start with.
And if you decide to add modules to it later on you could use their CsCAN port to add remote I/O modules or even another XLe if you get to the point to play with Masters/Slaves!
I do not work for Horner, I've used their stuff though in several small projects. All worked well at the end.

Cristos,

I will throw our product into the mix as well.

A Smart-PAK, with cable and unlimited rung capability software that can be downloaded from our web site has been used by several companies over the years to teach people about PLCs.

More information can be view through this link - www.entertron.com/plc_training.htm

The package price is $200.00, is in stock and can be ordered directly from us.

Hope this helps.

God Bless,

I suggest Twido software by Schneider. I believe its still free. You can download it from their website. They sell a starter pack that has a small plc, a cable, and some other accessories. I'm not sure of its price. But, their small plcs are just over 100 bucks. The software is not a demo version like the Automation Direct 100 word stuff. To me, Twido is more modern and user friendly. Plus, the help documentation is second to none. I think it would be great for starting out.

Last edited:
and you might want to consider...
what is the most probable brand that you would be using... and ask around in your community which can provide you with good support.. for example.. you're in school/company/training facility... then use whatever they have for starters...

then you can easily cope with your learning curve...