FTP restriction in Windows 2000?

danw

Lifetime Supporting Member
Is there a Windows function that can restrict on FTP functionality?

situation:
A Windows data acquisition application runs FTP to fetch data from a device. Testing by substitution proves that the failure of FTP to fetch data is related to a specific PC running Win 2000, SP5. The app is fully functional when run on a Win XP SP 2 box to the same device. On the balky PC, the ethernet port is fully functional on other ports, HTTP and Modbus.

Windows firewall is not even visible in control panel, the user claims his corporate IT removes it. A McAfee firewall is running, but ports 20 & 21 are unchecked on the 'Disable Ports' tab, meaning that FTP is enabled.

The app is supposedly W2k certified.

Anyone know if FTP can be jiggered with, somewhere deep in Windows?

Dan

Have you tried running FTP from a command prompt?

example: FTP 10.10.10.1

You may get prompted for user and password. If you are successful you should get the FTP prompt:

FTP>

To disconnect, just type "bye" (without quotes)

Last edited: