Software for PLC Programing

Hi All,

I am a new learner in PLC world. I want to develop my career in PLC.

I want to know about progrmming software available for Siemens S7-300 & S7-400 PLC. If i am purchasing a Siemens S7-300 PLC Hardware, should i get the Programing software with hardware?

I have two questions.

1) I want to learn a PLC Programing but i am confusing about where and what to start? PLease tell me exact steps or procedure for this. If possible give some material or link of site.

2) I want to concentrate on Siemens PLC. Which software is better for this PLC?

Kindly reply me.

Bye & Have a Nice Day.

The S7 software does not come with the hardware; you will have to purchase it seperatly.

Howevere the is S7-Lite which is a "cut down" version that can be downloaded for free.

The best place to get started would to attend one of the Siemens training courses in kalwa, mumbai. Siemens PLC are not the easiest to learn for a beginner, these training courses will provide you several hands on training with their software and hardware and get you started.

The software required is called simatic manager and it works for S7 300 and 400. There is a lite edition that has limited features and works only for the 300 series.

There is also the siemens s7 200 series which uses a different software called microwin. It is available in a 60 days trial version. This is much easier to learn on your own. The hardware is quite affordable too.

There is also the siemens s7 200 series which uses a different software called microwin. It is available in a 60 days trial version.
So Siemens lowered it to only 60 days. I still have an early MicroWin free version that has unlimited time. Come to think back, a Siemens distributor gave it to me on some floppy disks, so maybe it was not supposed to be free.

Last edited:
consider that S7-200 and microwin is gonna be phased out for S7-1200...and the new TIA portal soft will be doing all new products:
1200, 300 and 400.

And yes a beginner training course could be a good point to start

I still have an early MicroWin free version that has unlimited time. Come to think back, a Siemens distributor gave it to me on some floppy disks, so maybe it was not supposed to be free.
I have those floppys laying here somewhere?

So Siemens lowered it to only 60 days. I still have an early MicroWin free version that has unlimited time. Come to think back, a Siemens distributor gave it to me on some floppy disks, so maybe it was not supposed to be free.

Is that the original that was like Tisoft?

Is that the original that was like Tisoft?
The copy that I have says it is Step 7-Micro/Win 16, version 2.11, copyright 1998, and looks like the attached picture.

It will look the same this year as it did in 1998, so it doesn't matter that this is an old thread!

Siemens MicroWin16 Screen.jpg

Last edited: