communicate with A/B MicroLogix 1000

misamark

Hi everybody!

I have just connected RS Logix 5000 and MicroLogix 1000, with serial RS 232 cable. RS linx CAN see PLC, but I have no option to go on-line. (button is not active).

Do somebody have idea what can be wrong? I CAN browse, and communication tools in RS Linx gives me packets sent and received.

Just, cannot go online and cannot setup application path.

Thanks in advance,

Misamark

Last edited:
misamark said:
Hi everybody!

I have just connected RS Logix 5000 and MicroLogix 1000, with serial RS 232 cable. RS linx CAN see PLC...

You need RSLogix500 to program a Micrologix. RSLogix5000 is for CompactLogix and ControlLogix PLCs.

RSLinx is used by all flavors of RSLogix. For the Micrologix1000, you need the correct serial cable as well, 1761-CBL-PM02 is the part number.

Last edited:
Thanks Okie;

Somehow, I discovered and I started commnication. Cable WAS good because browser has been giving me node (Micro).

Thanks a lot; somehow I learnt one new point - no any RS fits to any PLC...

Best regards!!!

The ML1000 can be very nice little box, and I used a number of them a while back. At the time, I was strongly advised not to use the serial cable to directly connect, but rather to use and AIC+ as an interface / isolator.

That required the use of the Linx PIC driver which is a nightmare and so I would now recommend that you investigate the UIC interface which is a ASB device and it does not require the PIC. As a side benefit, it has both DH485 and a normal serial port which makes it doubly useful when your PC has no com port.

Best Regards,

Bob A.

Thanks Bob;

But :(

Here (In Kuwait) you cannot find even simple RS232 cable; so, after having very hard time to connect simple rs232 to the ML1000, I`ve got proper communication. I am using simple RsLinx to connect and I have succeed today to make couple of lines for a test. Works ok.

I have to make simple program for plc, (just time controlled functions), and after, to make some visualisation on the pc, instead using HMI. I have no experiance with, I have RsView licenced, and I will try.

Regarding to the isolation between, yor`re totally right; because of bad grounding of the PC, I have fuse burned inside ML1000; but fortunatelly, only this. After I have checked groundings everything start work nice.

Thanks again, best regards

Bob A. said:
The ML1000 can be very nice little box, and I used a number of them a while back. At the time, I was strongly advised not to use the serial cable to directly connect, but rather to use and AIC+ as an interface / isolator.

That required the use of the Linx PIC driver which is a nightmare and so I would now recommend that you investigate the UIC interface which is a ASB device and it does not require the PIC. As a side benefit, it has both DH485 and a normal serial port which makes it doubly useful when your PC has no com port.

Best Regards,

Bob A.

What is the reason for NOT using the serial cable directly?

controlled said:
What is the reason for NOT using the serial cable directly?

Its a recommendation not a requirement. ( see pic below)
Recommendation.jpg

That works.

But fuse can burn; that`s worst can happen here.

If I had a choice,I`ll use optical isolated cable.

Regards,

Misamark.

p.s. How can I attach picture in this message?

Last edited:
Not necessarily the worst!

As I stated earlier, when I was using ML1000s in quantity, I had lots of contact with AB about them. The concern was for blowing up the serial ports in both the PC and the ML1000, both of which are not uncommon and neither of which easy, from which to recover.

In the post above, the AIC+ is mentioned, as I mentioned earlier. I have made this statement before and here it is again. One of the five best days of my life was when I got an UIC and got to through away the PIC driver.

I can't think of any stronger way to make the recommendation!

Best Regards,

Bob A.