Huge apa files from Factorytalk Studio

TerryR

Hi all,
We have a new cell in operation and it's using a panelview plus 1000. We recieved the backup files for the PLC and HMI.
We made several edits to the screens, added screens and tags with no problem. Then saved apa files were a bit over 1meg in size. As I made edits, I would email a copy to the company that set up the system. Now all of a sudden the apa files are over 23meg.
Don't see how this could be so large. The mer files are still the same size as before, and all runs ok. But what could cause the apa file to be so large? I've looked a bit at Rockwell KBase. No luck there! Anyone have any ideas?
Thanks
Terry

No Pics, Strange results...

The only addition was a couple screens with simple tag data.
Something deeper I think. Before the program started saving the large apa files, all the library icons were shown, but clicking to open one shows an empty screen. Strange!! The next time the program was started, nothing was listed in the library.
It's odd that the mer file is the same size as before, and each time I recreate it.

Thanks for the reply.
Terry

Data log can take a lot of space too and they are compress in the apa

delete (or Backup) those file before making the apa save a lot of space

I needed dig deeper...

Well I guess you guys saw the cause. In an early version I added a graphic pic file for a cable, then realized I needed to reduce the size. I removed the graphic from my project tree, but did not expect it to be added in the buried project file folder. I went into the folder and removed the 20meg graphic from the folder in the project location. I had assumed when I said delete, that it would be.
Shame on me for expecting, well a deletion from the project file.
Thanks again for the feedback.

Terry

Remove vs. Delete. Remove it from the project will keep the file whereas "Delete" removes from the project and deletes the file.

As you have already discovered.

OG