PLC for a newbie

you will need programing software and connector cables to program that unit. I would look into the cost of those before deciding if that is a good buy.

is it siemens you want to learn?

cheers

myles

i am not that sure about siemens, some one else i am sure will know if the software has a trial period. but i dont think so!

the cable is from geniusintraining who is a memebr here so i will say nothing bad about that cable!
icon7.gif
which i am sure will work as it states! have a look on that website they have whole siemens systems for sale that include software, hardware, cables and some lights and buttons to simulate a system.

cheers

myles

kallileo said:
Siemens is the most common PLC brand here in Greece.
Isn't the programming software provided by Siemens for free or at least is there any free limited or trial version?

What about this cable?
http://cgi.ebay.com/Siemens-PLC-S7-200-PC-PPI-programming-cable-PCPPI_W0QQitemZ250244426160QQihZ015QQcategoryZ97184QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQcmdZViewItem#ebayphotohosting

Thank you Miles

That cable i think comes from GIT (Geniusintraining) on this site and if so will be very good and work, note its rs232 and you will need a serial port for the comms from your pc/laptop, you may be better off going for a USB-PPI cable.

The plc you posted was an S7-200 Range and requires MicroWin (Link to demo) to program them, this is not free.

The S7-300 range of plcs can be programmed with STEP7 Lite which is free from siemens and a cut down version of pro (No networking among other things)

kallileo said:
Siemens is the most common PLC brand here in Greece.
Isn't the programming software provided by Siemens for free or at least is there any free limited or trial version?

What about this cable?
http://cgi.ebay.com/Siemens-PLC-S7-200-PC-PPI-programming-cable-PCPPI_W0QQitemZ250244426160QQihZ015QQcategoryZ97184QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQcmdZViewItem#ebayphotohosting

Thank you Miles
Not sure about greece but here in the US Siemens offers "Starter packages" on the S7-200 series hardware.
A package includes a PLC unit, software, programming cables and a board that can be used as an Input simulator on the PLC (just toggle switches, nothing special about it).
If they do offer the starter packages, go for it. It should be priced nicely but it is a "one time deal". Once you buy one can't buy another one.
Anyways as 504bloke mentioned, Microwin32 is needed for the S7-200 series of Siemens PLCs.
If you get that, you'll find out quickly that it is nowhere close to Step 7 (which is used for the Siemens S7-300 and S7-400 series hardware). The programming cables cannot be used as well.
Think before you buy.

On a second thought, look around the internet and find a manufacturer that offers free software for starters. Later on you may be able to get the hardware for them and practice.
In any case, pick up something and start on it. PLC programming packages and cables will vary a lot from manufacturer to manufacturer but once you grasp the basics you can decide which platform you'd want to work with.

Just a thought.

Since I was there a couple of months ago it is impossible for me to visit again so soon!
Thanks for asking though, hopefully I'll be there by year's end again.
Good luck!

I think now I am even more confused than before... I had Siemens PLC in my mind but I don't even know what I should buy.

As you all say MicroWin is not a very good software or at least not as complete as Step 7.

One more question is about cables. The "Siemens PLC S7 200 PC/PPI programming cable" is only for programming or it can be also used for other purposes?
What is the purpose of HMI cable?

kallileo said:
I think now I am even more confused than before... I had Siemens PLC in my mind but I don't even know what I should buy.

As you all say MicroWin is not a very good software or at least not as complete as Step 7.
I don't think anyone said that Microwin is not a good software package, rather than you can only work on Siemens S7-200 series ONLY with it

One more question is about cables. The "Siemens PLC S7 200 PC/PPI programming cable" is only for programming or it can be also used for other purposes?
What is the purpose of HMI cable?
HMI is the cable to connect your PLC to an HMI (let's say a TP177 or similar). It stays connected at all times in order to keep the PLC-HMI comms going.
You can use the same programming cable PC/PPI to send data to a PC via its serial port down the line, whenever you get into exchanging data of some sort between PLC-PC.
I believe S7-200 has a setup which is called "Freeport", look into that to send data from the PLC to your PC.
Of course your PC has to be running some sort of application that will accept the data coming from the PLC.
Think of it as a data logger of sorts, PLC sends out data, PC collects data (Spreadsheet or something similar, even a data base). What you do with the data is not as important now as it is to get started.
Step 7 Lite is free and a good package to get you started but S7-300 hardware can be expensive for starters.
Since Siemens is what people use by you, I'd look into Siemens and how to get up to speed with it in as little time as possible.

Last edited:
kallileo said:

Hello kallileo,

A few more things to think about, there are two different packages that Siemens offers, the 200 series and the 300/400 series

The 200 is the one I offer as a trainer, I will have some more in stock next week (221?) for now I only have a 224 (cost to much) don't buy it :) I sell the siemens with the MicroWIN software and a cable, this is very good for some people BUT NOT for all...

The Siemens 200 version is not very much like the 300/400, so if you are thinking of buying a 200 to learn on and you need to learn the 300's then I would suggest buying a used 300 plc and learning with it

The software for the 300's are not the same as the 200's and from what I have heard the demo (lite) version is not the same either(not just the limitations)

You can buy a cable for the 300's and it will work on the 200's but you can not buy a cable for the 200 and get it to work on the 300's, I just bought a 300 series cable for 100USD off of eBay, I should get it next week, the cable you pointed to (mine pc/ppi) will only work on the 200's

There is a trial version of the 200 software that will run for 60days, if you want the link let me know (EDIT: I see that Dave has posted the link)

Thanks Dave and Myles for the kind words... :)

http://www.plctrainer.net/PLCTrainers.htm this is a link it you want to see more of them.. someday I will offer 300's and ControlLogix but they are not cheap.

Mark

Thank you all

Let's say that I've learned how to program S7 200 or any other Siemens PLC. How difficult it would be to start programming PLC's from other brands like Fanuc, Allen - Bradley or any other?