Control Logix and I/O suggestions

Which I/O would be the simplest to use on a modular system using AB Control Logix

• EtherNet/IP

Votes: 1 14.3%
  • ControlNet

• DeviceNet

• Universial Remote I/O

Votes: 4 57.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

DefelRadar

I'm new to PLCS.net and was wanting to get suggestions on an application. I have a modular cell that can be broke into about 12 sections that can be configurable (meaning modules can switch locations in the cell). I will use a AB Control Logix as the PLC for this app but I was trying to explore the best way to deal with the modularity by using "remote" I/O blocks of some type and what would work best/simplest with communicating with the PLC (i.e. Remote I/O, DeviceNet, ControlNet, or EtherNet/IP) Thanks guys!

Ultimately what would be best for the end user to troubleshoot and use but I would like it to be easy to impliment and install as well. However in most cases I've found you can't have the best of both those worlds so the end user always comes first.

I use the ControlLogix system with A-B Flex I/O modules for the remote I/O. Very easy to configure, install and maintain.

We use ControlNet comm., but others may work just as well

Well...I guess 2 questions.

How about requirements? Each of the options has it's own pro's and con's not related to simplicity; speed, future expansion, etc. Are there any complex requirements?

As far as requirements the line has to be able to be reconfigurable or moved to different locations fairly easily. Future expansion is a huge factor and the only thing that is semi complex in nature is it's interaction with an RSSQL DB.

PhilRey - I was looking at AB Flex I/O modules but I heard that alot of people had difficulty using them with ControlLogix. Have you encountered any problems with Flex and why did you choose to use those modules? AB's site wasn't very informative but from what I saw they seemed pretty friendly but I'd just heard horror stories about them.

-Thanx

I began using Flex I/O on systems 3 years ago. As far as I know, they have been problem free. We are an OEM machine builder and I hear about every little problem from our end customer -- so I'm sure I would have heard if there were problems with the Flex I/O.

Some of the reasons I chose the Flex modules:

1. Most of our clients include Allen-Bradley in the list of Approved Manufacturers with the job specification. In an attempt to somewhat standardize the product, I stuck with A-B. That definitely narrowed down my choices.
  2. Flex I/O required minimal configuration effort when using ControlLogix.
  3. Small footprint saves space in panel.
  4. Wiring terminals are in a configuration such that field wiring can be connected directly to the module base. Extra marshalling terminal blocks are unnecessary - saving more panel space.
  5. Suitable for mounting in Class I, Div. 2 hazardous area. Very important for the application. I was able to use a NEMA 4X enclosure instead of explosion-proof and I didn't even need a purge/pressurization system.
  6. Intrinsically Safe I/O modules are available. Allows us to use general purpose sensors in the field's hazardous environment. This also saved panel space because I didn't need to use additional intrinsic safety isolators for the field signals.
    [/list=1]

The configuration of the Flex I/O system is handled in the RSL-5000 application. If a module is replaced (can be hot-swapped), the configuration of the new module is done automatically from the ControlLogix processor.

The system consists of
    • A comm. adapter (i.e. ControlNet) which includes a power supply
    • Up to 8 terminal bases (connected via plug/socket to the adapter to form the backplane on a DIN rail)
    • The appropriate I/O modules (plugs into the terminal bases).

If expansion is required - and all 8 slots are already used with the existing comm. adapter, an additional adapter must be used (providing 8 more module slots). Each comm. adapter uses a separate node on the network.

I don't know anything about RSSQL DB, but it seems that it would interface to the ControlLogix system instead of the Flex I/O directly -- so Flex I/O shouldn't have any impact on that.