Bar code reader into a Micrologix 1100

hoelscherlj

Hello everyone,
I've been wondering how to do this for quite some time now. I had a little time on my hands and a future project will need this so I thought I would give it a go.
I am trying to write a program that will look at the input buffer of channel 0 to see if the barcode reader has sent information. It will then send this information to a string file and then decide whether it is a batch number or a material number.

I have a fairly decent understanding of the ASCII instructions but I have one question about them, more specifically the use of the control file status bits. The Inhibit bit is causing me some greif. I can't find any information on it in my Rockwell manuals, or at least why it is used and how it is triggered. I know my sequence of events was to blame, but I would like to understand why it has been triggered.

I don't have a copy of the program that I was having an issue with but I could reproduce it if needed. This is what I am using now, and it seems to work okay to get the info into the string file.

I think the problem I was having before was that the check buffer instruction was trying to run at the same time as the read instruction but that is just a guess. I'm really just looking for an explaination of the inhibit bit. Any other opnions on better or more effecient programming would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Luc

Last edited: